[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
rustedtusks.com • View topic - The Music of SLOP redux

rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Music of SLOP redux
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:58 am 
UnderDog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Admin

That's great music and that song in particular can have a very dark twist. I can certainly imagine Muley listening to Fender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:22 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:31 pm 
UnderDog

Post subject: Songs of Brice
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:30 am 
Site Admin

I was listening to Alanis Morisette and came across a great song...a song that really reminds me of Brice. Sort of the kind of thing Laura might have said about the boy if she'd not died mysteriously, and the two had dated a while.

You can hear a live version here:

Dear mommas boy I know youve had your butt licked by your mother
I know youve enjoyed all that attention from her
And every woman graced with your presence after
Dear narcissus boy I know youve never really apologized for anything
I know youve never really taken responsibility
I know youve never really listened to a woman

Dear me-show boy I know youre not really into conflict resolution
Or seeing both sides of every equation
Or having an uninterrupted conversation

And any talk of healthiness
And any talk of connectedness
And any talk of resolving this
Leaves you running for the door

(why why do I try to love you
Try to love you when you really dont want me
To)

Dear egotist boy youve never really had to suffer any consequence
Youve never stayed with anyone longer than ten minutes
Youd never understand anyone showing resistance
Dear popular boy I know youre used to getting everything so easily
A stranger to the concept of reciprocity
People honor boys like you in this society

And any talk of selflessness
And any talk of working at this
And any talk of being of service

(why why do I try to help you try to help you
When you really dont want me to)

You go back to the women who will dance the dance
You go back to your friends who will lick your ass
You go back to ignoring all the rest of us
You go back to the center of your universe

Dear self centered boy I dont know why I still feel affected by you
Ive never lasted very long with someone like you
I never did although I have to admit I wanted to
Dear magnetic boy youve never been with anyone who doesnt take your shit
Youve never been with anyone whos dared to call you on it
I wonder how youd be if someone were to call you on it

And any talk of willingness
And any talk of both feet in
And any talk of commitment

(why why do I try to change you try to
Try to change you when you really dont
Want me to)

You go back to the women who will dance the dance
You go back to your friends who will lick your ass
You go back to being so oblivious
You go back to the center of the universe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:02 pm 
UnderDog

She sat in our conference room and sang most of Jagged Little Pill and played a flat top some years ago when the record co was schlepping her around to promote the record. She's grown up some. Shocked the office staff to hear this waif in her little voice singing "do you think about me when you fuck her?"

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:47 am 
Preternaturalist

Wow,...I really must say though,..that those lyrics REALLY seem to hit the nail on the head as far as Brice is concerned,..which actually disturbs me deeply, to some extent. After all,..there wouldn't be a song written about that kind of mentality and personality type if it were not extremely prevalent. Mulefoot wouldn't have showcased such an individual if there weren't MANY examples to be found,..examples we can ALL relate to,...though generally not in a very positive way by any means. True,..Brice may not entirely be composed without some degree of virtue,..I mean,..who doesn't have SOME good in them... But this shallow, self-serving personality type hits too close to home for my own personal comfort, since my own nephew became such a person over time,..then proceeded to use and screw over his friends, family, and "loved ones" left and right,..burning all bridges as he went, never really growing up (regardless of his many marriages and the children left in the wake of them), and certainly NEVER taking any personal responsibility for his own actions (it was always someone else's problem/blame,..never his). Most unfortunate for everyone involved.

Well,..enough of that. Littlejohn,...what branch of the entertainment industry did you work in when you met Alanis? Music,..I'm assuming,....yes? Your comments have intrigued me...

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:59 pm 
UnderDog

Well,..enough of that. Littlejohn,...what branch of the entertainment industry did you work in when you met Alanis? Music,..I'm assuming,....yes? Your comments have intrigued me...

Broadcaster. Can't sing or play a note... but I'm a virtuoso on the stereo, and I ain't bad on the car radio.

And, some of the darker lyrics were written by Shel Silverstein and perfomred by Dr. Hook & The MEdicine Show. Get a copy of "Carry Me Carrie" or "Queen Of The Silver Dollar" for starts... and there are others.

Listen to Sawyer and Locorriere wail on Carry Me, it will stand your hair up.

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:37 pm 
Preternaturalist

Ah!! Interesting! By "broadcaster" I'm assuming you mean radio DJ type of stuff.. Neat! I'm assuming, then that you may have MANY more ideas concerning SLOP-like music that might go ever-so-well with the darker, more somber themes presented here...

By the way,..hopefully you find your Avatar pic again... I enjoyed the whimsical nature of it...

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

As far as this old avatar pig--because he'd uploaded it, it was in a directory that I trashed when I was trying to fix things on the old forum.
Much apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:21 am 
UnderDog

I work off - mike. Tried talking, I was awesomely bad.

I have to find the original of the avatar, and have it scanned - we auctioned it off a year or two ago. The genesis of it is/was, I needed an illustration for the letterhead of a rescue organization. Kit Seaton, who illustrates children's books, was sitting in a friends' livingroom, being courted for pets by the model for the picture, Champion Double Ring Oz The Magnificent, AKA Oz. Oz had coerced her into bellyrubs and ear rubs and she was cooing over 'nice doggy' and saying she'd gotten intrested in furry art style. I asked her to do one of Oz, she ran that up on a pad in maybre ten minutes.

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:25 am 
UnderDog

Take a look at John D. Loudermilk's 'Bad News'. It sort of fits Mulefoot. In a lighter vein:

Bad news travels like wild fire good news travels slow
They all call me Ol' Wildfire cause everybody knows
That I'm bad news everywhere I go hm hm always gettin' in trouble ha ha
And leaving little girls who hate to see me go
Well I've picked peaches in Georgia I lumberjacked up in Maine
I've been hired and fired and jailed in any state you can name
Cause I'm bad news everywhere I go
Always gettin' in trouble ha ha ha and leaving little girls who hate to see me go
From north to south from east to west the story is the same
From one state to the other I have to change my name
Cause I'm bad news yeah everywhere I go
Yeah I'm always a gettin' in trouble ha ha ha
And leavin' little girls who hate to see me go
Well they tried to hang me up in Oakland and they did in San Frisco
But I wouldn't choke and I broke their rope and they had to let me go
Cause I'm bad news everywhere I go
Always gettin' in trouble ha ha ha and leaving little girls who hate to see me go

-----John D. Loudermilk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:38 am 
UnderDog

And I found a Silverstein site:

Second Street and Broadway
Sittin' in a doorway
Head held in his hands
Looked to all the world
Like he was prayin'.
Foot wrapped in old rag,
Bottle in a brown bag,
I saw him trying to stand
Then I heard the words that he was sayin'

He said...

CHORUS:
Come on, Carrie,
Carry me a little farther
Come on, Carrie,
Carry me one more mile.
I don't know where it's leadin' to,
But I know I can make it if I lean on you,
So come on, Carrie,
Carry me a little
I carried you, now carry me a little
Come on, Carrie, carry me a little while.

When he struggled to his feet
And staggered down the street
To the window of a five and dime
He stood and laughed a while at his reflection.
And then I heard him shoutin'
Something 'bout a mountain
He could surely climb
If she was only there
To point to right direction.

But she ain't, no, but she ain't, no....

<CHORUS>

Silverstein has a lot of stuff which was darker than we usually heard....

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:58 am 
Slopplicant

Post subject: end credits
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Well now that the current story is over...
I'd run Moby's Extreme Ways in the credits.
You can hear it here:

I'd skip the video the first time you listen and just focus on the words.
I came across the song in the end credits for the Bourne Identity.

Extreme ways are back again
Extreme places I didnt know
I broke everything new again
Everything that Id owned
I threw it out the windows, came along
Extreme ways I know move apart
The colors of my sea
Perfect color me

Extreme ways that that help me
Help me out at night
Extreme places I had gone
But never seen any light
Dirty basements, dirty noise
Dirty places coming through
Extreme worlds alone
Did you ever like it planned

I would stand in line for this
Theres always room in life for this

Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, it fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Like it always does, always does

Extreme songs that told me
They helped me down every night
I didnt have much to say
I didnt get above the light
I closed my eyes and closed myself
And closed my world and never opened
Up to anything
That could get me along

I had to close down everything
I had to close down my mind
Too many things to cover me
Too much can make me blind
Ive seen so much in so many places
So many heartaches, so many faces
So many dirty things
You couldnt believe

I would stand in line for this
Its always good in life for this

Oh baby, oh baby
Then it fell apart, fell apart
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Oh baby, oh baby
Like it always does, always does

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:05 pm 
Slice of Sly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:43 pm 
UnderDog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:57 am 
Enter the Mango

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:40 pm 
Slopplicant

I know this topic is kinda dead, but I have to state the obvious...
Johny Cash's Ring of Fire, if take it in the right context. I know the song is way over used but I even kinda hear mulefoot sounding like Cash :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:45 am 
Alter Sack

A song for Jen, before she leaves the comic either in pieces or in peace:

"Toxic".

As interpreted by

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 pm 
Slopplicant

I may have posted something like this before on previous SLOP music threads, but:
I can't help but run Nekromantix through my head when I see this twisted love between Mr. Foot and Jen.
(Right now 'Demons are a Girl's Best Friend' springs to mind... or if things turn south for Jen, maybe 'Dead Girls Don't Cry.')
Their music often deals with dark romance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Eppa...you get special points for bringing up the Nekromantix. *grins with tusks*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:55 pm 
Slopplicant

Cocorosie's "Honey or Tar"

I undressed you with my eyes i have
Maybe even raped you
In a dark and eerie corner of my mind
I tucked you there
And touched you in a dream last night
Pushed you aside when you entered
My thoughts at the wrong time
I have sat up upon your lap and
Saddled my thighs around your hips like ropes
I rode you on a chair and in the shower
And all the while i clung heavy to your back
My desire deeply harnessed in your spine
While I squeezed you like a tree trunk
You may have been one
Sexless and comfort in your mind
Even barer than a child's
I'm riding recklessly through a thick and humid
Jungle growing anxious with the deep and primal
Yearning that stirs
Deeply pulsing up toward the surface
Like sap rising or honey or tar

You can hear the song . There isn't really any sound for about the first 9 seconds, but it is playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:25 pm 
Slopplicant

Glad to know you're a fan too!
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 am 
Batshit Sane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:48 am 
Enter the Mango

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:14 pm 
Slopplicant

I came across a song that reminds me of Mulefoot every time I hear it.

Apparently, it was used on a trailer for the newest season of 'The Shield,' but I originally heard it on a podcast called 'Shadow Falls'

"This Night" by Black Lab:

There are things...I have done...
There's a place...I have gone..
There's a beast...and I let it run...
Now its runnin' my way

There're things...I regret...
You can't forgive...you can't forget...
There's a gift...that you sent...
You sent it my way

So take this night
Wrap it around me like a sheet
I know I'm not forgiven, but I need a place to sleep
So take this night
And lay me down on the street
I know I'm not forgiven but I hope that I"ll be given some peace...

There's a game...that I play...
There are rules...I had to break...
There's mistakes...that I've made...
But I made them my way

So take this night
Wrap it around me like a sheet
I know I'm not forgiven, but I need a place to sleep
So take this night
And lay me down on the street
I know I'm not forgiven but I hope that I"ll be given some peace...

Some peace...
Some peace...

The music is positively haunting on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:18 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man