rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Slopeater
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:36 pm 
Slice of Sly

Slopeater.. a very important word.

I think we're about see a major piece of Mulefoot's identity.

If you hate the enemy, what happens when you no longer see the difference between yourself and them?

Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.

Post subject: Re: Slopeater
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:26 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Something evil this way comes...

Tony's gonna have JJ on his conscience. But I see that moving forward and away from the chopper probably aint' gonna go well either.

Nice work Muley

Uncle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

Yeah, hell's already here, and the only things the details can do is decide exactly what you feel bad about, and why. It's one thing to abandon one companion to the enemy in order to save others, or perhaps even yourself. But what if you abandon JJ, and it accomplishes nothing?

Should have checked him for a pulse, Tony-- I think I told you so.

Slopeaters, yes. What if you can't tell the difference between yourself and the enemy? But, on the other hand, what if your own people have treated you like the enemy all your life, and the enemy they send you to fight is largely your own species? There's something that could mess you up.

It also opens the opportunity for the "crime" in "scene of the crime" to be one of a whole series of crimes I hadn't considered. Ones that have basically nothing to do with Tony's hobbies in later life. We'll see, I guess.

VERY interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:41 am 
Alter Sack

Well, that's the downside of relying too much on your sniffer: the wind only blows in one direction. Crafty slopeaters have learned to sneak up from both sides. Crafty slopeaters might even employ scent-screen units that produce a stench of a group five times their size...

Funny that the Fitch now swings the other way and yammers about JJ where before he called him a stupid fuck: the whoregnawer seems to be swayed easily by dominance. At least Muley's. Interesting dynamics, especially since you can't split up a group of three without abandoning one.

Also formative: Tony's altruism will keep him from getting killed. He does try to be good in a fucked-up Slopiverse, but the results are probably all the same in the end. Frustrating.

Last thought: if "Slopeaters" is a common moniker for the Thaikong enemy, should not a crafty detective in the here and now at least make the connection that the Slop murders are done by a vet? Okay, that one might only work on TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

I think Halbherz may have called it two months back when he said he sensed a mercy killing coming on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 am 
Preternaturalist

Great panels all in all.... I must say that the last one,..with the enemy waiting in ambush just ahead of them,...is incredibly chilling to me for some reason....

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:54 am 
Sloppworthy

Hmm.. this may have been discussed elsewhere in the forum. If so, please move this post to the correct thread :)

Seeing that the enemy seems to be all 'slopeaters', most likely pigs, it makes me wonder if all the species have their own countries of orgin. If so, Mulefoot's ancestors could be from Asia if species placement in the Slopverse follows racial origins in this part of the multiverse.

Following that line of thinking, if the three species of pig-like men are all from Japan, China, Vietnam, Korea, etc. where do the other species originate from? The foxes are originally European perhaps, with red foxes in particular being British? Would give a whole new meaning to the thought of American grey foxes fighting the 'red coats' for independence XD

Its something to think about it. Coyotes.. Hispanic origins? Wolves.. Russian?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:57 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

AMountainLion wrote:
Hmm.. this may have been discussed elsewhere in the forum. If so, please move this post to the correct thread :)

Do a search for my postings in particular in the main slop forum, I've done several dissertations on the various species in Slop.

Origins, and specifically how they relate to the human universe.
Both on sexual appeal and racisim.

Uncle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 am 
Batshit Sane

Halbherz wrote:
Last thought: if "Slopeaters" is a common moniker for the Thaikong enemy, should not a crafty detective in the here and now at least make the connection that the Slop murders are done by a vet? Okay, that one might only work on TV.

I had the same thought. It'd be like a vet in our Universe carving "Nam" on the bodies of people he kills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:23 am 
Batshit Sane

AMountainLion wrote:
Seeing that the enemy seems to be all 'slopeaters', most likely pigs, it makes me wonder if all the species have their own countries of orgin. If so, Mulefoot's ancestors could be from Asia if species placement in the Slopverse follows racial origins in this part of the multiverse.

It will be a little more complicated than that. From Wikipedia:

"Mulefoot hogs likely originated with the hogs brought to the Gulf Coast by the Spanish; however, exactly when they originated as a syndactyl animal is not clear."

I'm not going to state sources, but numerous other websites also inform that the mulefoot breed does not have known origins and I can not find any information about where the breed originated.

All of this wouldn't make any difference in the Slopverse with specieal tensions running high. Us humans are silly enough to make racial generalizations based on skin colour. Specieal associations and discriminations will be made, and the stereotypes of a species will doubtlessly be imposed on all members of that species regardless of the country a member of that species originated from.

In our Universe, a black man might be from Uganda or he might be from Haiti or he might be from Jamaica, but a racist will still call him a 'nigger', and a racist may be unable to make a distinction between Korean, Japanese, and Chinese people.