rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:02 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Brice's apparent recent reappearance has brought the spotlight back to the partially skeletonized corpse by the creek. Just who is this mystery critter? Now, before everyone starts throwing out names and whatnot I think a recap of past observations are in order.

A roster of the important artifacts at the scene is listed for analysis.
  1. the victim's teeth suggest a base carnivore critter
  2. the victim's skull is missing a good amount of its cranium
  3. the victim's left wrist has a men's wristwatch & strap
  4. the victim's left hand bears a ring where a wedding band would go
  5. the surviving pelt on the victim's left arm is black
  6. there is a spent, two-part shell casing nearby
  7. more to be added later...
What the indeterminant questions are include:
  1. When did this person die?
  2. If the bullet caused the fatal head wound, in what manner did it do so?
  3. Is that a sleeve or a change in pelt coloration further up the arm?
  4. What was the victim's species?

The people contributing to the forum speculations at the time deduced quite a bit from the previous information.

The shape of the skull as well as the pelt ruled out Uthalla, Franklin, Harle, Travis, Carol, Sean, Jane, Hervie, and Mikey. The men's watch and ring ruled out Brice and Mr. Vandergraf. Of the named characters in "Red River" we have left Mr. Samech and Ernie Deighton, both of whom we have no verification of either rings or watches yet analogous fur patterns and skull features to the deceased.

Last edited by Andrick on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:34 pm 
Unqualified Medic

perhaps we haven't met the body when it was in the living flesh. at least, perhaps not yet :B

reasoning behind this theory:

mulefoot refered the river fondly, as though he had gone there many times.
we've seen mulefoot take his prey into the woods twice at least now.
the arc was called red river, but brice only spilled a little blood into the river itself.
the corpse was in fairly advanced stages of decay while scottface was still fairly well preserved at the coroner's office. older body, then, than anyone we've met from red river i'd say.

i think we'll find out about the body's former owner in another arc.

on that note, it's still half burried as well. it's possible that the skull isn't cracked, just covered up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:12 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

We have met the person the body belongs to... or at least so said Mulefoot back in the last forum. Of course, this means we cannot discount those characters from "The Dry Run" since they are part of the significant crowd that still has a bearing on the overall story.

However, it is folly to count or discount time based upon the preserved corpse of Scotty versus a body left exposed to the elements and scavengers. A time skip of two weeks occurred from Brice's rape at the hands of Mulefoot. But that doesn't tell us anything substantial about the body. The only real indicator we have to base elapsed time upon is the weed growing around the upper mandibles though that only gives an indication that it has been a minimum of a couple days since the body was placed there (curvature of the plant bending towards the sky instead of being merely straight or matted down by a recently placed corpse).

The top part of the skull cannot be buried according to that picture. Nothing in the artwork suggests a sudden rise or other sloping contour that can obscure that part of the skull and the angle of the skull would be different if the top were partially buried as Z alleges. That top piece is gone; we cannot be sure as to how it is gone, but it is gone. We can surmise that the shell casing might have something to do with that, but we cannot be sure from just the one picture.

The body by the creek may not be a murder victim. There is the possibility that this unfortunate committed suicide. The circumstances would require that the person to have either discharged a round prior to the fatal self-inflicted round from either a breech-loader or pump-action shotgun. Alternatively, one shot one kill from a semi-automatic shotgun would eject the casing appropriately for this scenario. The body and the gun would have to drop in different directions from each other. Improbable as it may be, this could be the fox from earlier who just couldn't take it any more and decided to eat a slug from his friendly firearm.

Still, I think it more likely that the body by the creek was murdered. The reason for this is because of a person named Cooper. Mr. Samech said that Cooper couldn't be personally involved because of "a conflict of interest." How could being hired by Mr. Deighton to track down and bring to his execution Mr. Vandergraf's son be a conflict of interest? A conflict of interest arises from having a prior stake with the party/parties being acted upon so that new and old obligations would be competing in such a fashion to interfere with the proper resolution of either or both interests. This being the case, Cooper has either a prior relationship with Brice... or Mr. Vandergraf. Since Mr. Vandergraf has already alluded to having dealt with organized crime before, there is the possibility that Cooper had already been hired by Mr. Vandergraf for something. The alternative is Cooper having something to do with Laura's death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:29 am 
Unqualified Medic

it's got to be a downward slope, it's a riverbed. :P

if it wasn't a downward slope, what are the strands of grass/algae doing hanging 'up' off of the jaw?

anyway. the skull shape might not have ruled out travisbecause mulefoot's art has changed significantly between dry run and the end of red river. however, despite being dumped in the river, travis didn't have a watch, let alone a wedding ring. i figure those two are a bit more damning.

i think the wedding ring is what we should be looking for, since a watch can be covered up.

the only time in all of slop-history, including comics AFTER (because sometimes i get the impression slop is not linear) red river that i spotted rings or something that might be mistaken for watches were:

-on marianin tony ray's fantasy, she wears a ring (obviously not this, then)
-on franklin's wrist. but given that's obviously a medalert kinda thing and franklin's a boxer with a significantly different shaped muzzle, no dice here.
-mikey's handcuff. right wrist, right muzzle...but i think from the decay it's not mikey. also if that is the pelt and not dirt covering a body, then the pelt rules it out too. plus we'd prolly see a few more pieces of metal junk from mikey's face lying around.
-scotty has a watch, right colour, matches the face shape and is dead...but if this is scotty, then who's the brice-clone in the freezer at the morgue? also when scotty left brice, was no longer wearing the watch.
-the nurses in interlude part 1 have watches but man, that'd really be reaching.

so that's all our suspects, at least ones with visable wrists/ring fingers. and none of em seem too likely.

soooo next, how about the black paws that go beyond the wrist and a canid-ish skull?

-immediately ruling out brice, scotty and laura due to the fact that we know the locations of their bodies (if brice is indeed the fox in interlude) as well as brice's father (ID'd the body) and laura's father (skinned the body).
-hervie and sean both seem ambigously coloured...but it's unlikely it's them.
-once again, mikey shows up.
-takamo, aka the chatty one...but she gets dropped off. so we assume she got away.
-the friendly dhole girl, but when tony last saw her he was in no condition to take her down to a river. then again, maybe it wasn't him. this just seems unlikely though. no watch, no ring.

so my money is currently on mikey as the most likely subject since he fits into both catagories better than anyone else. it's possible crows yoinked his piercings off the body, or some other scavenger did. maybe discolouration went all crazy on the pelt or the fur was pulled out or something. last we saw him, uthy had him at gunpoint, which the two casings also support it might be him.

oh and all this rereading reminds me. nobody noticed that rita runs self defense classes for women and tony's sending her cash. wonder what their connection is.