rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Refinement and Taste...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 am 
Sloppworthy

I THOUGHT that sounded familiar. I see this is likely a greeting Mulefoot and Sam share whenever they happen to cross paths again.

http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=24&nc=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

AMountainLion wrote:
I THOUGHT that sounded familiar. I see this is likely a greeting Mulefoot and Sam share whenever they happen to cross paths again.

Of course, my thought was, "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste."

Of course, my other thought was this exchange. "Sixty Seven." "Thirty Nine."
Are these just random numbers, or are we getting a sort of macho dick waving talley of kills?

Uncle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

AMountainLion wrote:

http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=24&nc=1

Odd coincidence that :) It is true though...its their habitual greeting. Storywise, its just one more link back to Red River. When drawing Slop, I try to reference earlier stuff as much as I can without being too obvious about it. See how as a reader, you were reminded of the first time we see Sam and Tony together on the page? And who else is there? Brice and Scotty. Who's Sam researching? Brice and Scotty :) There is a method to my madness.

Also...it is a small nod to the Rolling Stones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:12 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Mulefoot wrote:
There is a method to my madness.

Also...it is a small nod to the Rolling Stones.

Never ever is there any wasted ink.

Uncle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

I wonder what the numbers are. I wonder if we'll find out, and when.

My morbid side says it might be a kill count, although if so they've both been awfully ambitious. If they have intel backgrounds it could be a code for almost anything.

Or it could be they know each other's jokes.

Old con and recent con in the jail cell after lights out. Somebody yells "Seventeen!" and everybody in the jail laughs. Kid asks what that's about.

"We've been in here so long we know each others' jokes, so we save time. Just call out the number, and everyone remembers the joke and laughs."

Kid shrugs and shouts "Four!"

Dead silence.

"Isn't four a funny joke?"

"Yeah, one of the best. But you know, some people can tell a joke and some people just can't."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

By the way, speaking of numbers, how many people know about Tony Ray's little hobby?

We have Tony Ray himself, of course. Sam turns out not only to know that Tony Ray is a killer, but that he's the Slop Killer famous across the land. Presumably Sam's boss knows that too, or at least most of it. "How is the old monster?" after all. And there's Brice, assuming Brice is still wandering around somewhere.

Granted that most (presumably all) of these people have reasons for not telling what they know, but as Ben Franklin said, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." We're at four at least-- maybe more. It's getting toward statistically impossible for Tony Ray not to be snitched upon at some point or other, and given that he doesn't seem to take all that much care to avoid leaving traces, this can't go well for him.

Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead, and Tony Ray could arrange that. But some of the people who know are out of his reach, and could also be trusted to have his information someplace that it's safe-- for now-- as long as they themselves stay healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 am 
Batshit Sane

Havoc wrote:
Granted that most (presumably all) of these people have reasons for not telling what they know, but as Ben Franklin said, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." We're at four at least-- maybe more. It's getting toward statistically impossible for Tony Ray not to be snitched upon at some point or other, and given that he doesn't seem to take all that much care to avoid leaving traces, this can't go well for him.

Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead, and Tony Ray could arrange that. But some of the people who know are out of his reach, and could also be trusted to have his information someplace that it's safe-- for now-- as long as they themselves stay healthy.

Wherever it is Tony Ray calls home, it seems the sort of country where people understand the value of minding their own business.

If Tony Ray winds up snuffing someone important to somebody who knows his dirty little secret... he will probably have a much bigger problem to worry about than being snitched on.

I'm getting a little worried about Pomander. He was introduced a while ago, and he must be plotting something. Has anybody seen any sign of the batty bugger in any of the panels since his introduction?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 pm 
UnderDog

67? 39? Easy - waist sizes. Have a look at the both of 'em.

--lj