rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Slop Map
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 pm 
Sloppworthy

Wow, nice map! There's been a lot of thought and time gone into this with all the different names for the states and such. I see very few that are the same in both this reality and the Slopworld (Maine, for example)

I also noticed that Slop's version of Virginia was never split into Virginia and West Virginia. Yet the states appear united. I guess the North won the Civil War but without Virginia being split up? Or maybe that particular war didn't happen in that reality.

So much is the same and yet so very different. One of the reasons I geek out so much when it comes to the idea of billions of possible realities and Earths to go along with them ^_^

Post subject: Re: Slop Map
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am 
UnderDog

Can you imagine a six or seven sided 'civil war' with shifting allegiances? The previous stories hint that Tejas alone has had its troubles. Hell of a map though.
It is interesting that Alabama and Georgia, unlike Va and W (BG) VA are split. Go figure.

--lj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:37 am 
Serious about SLOP

Oh, you can ask a few other questions too.

For example, the fact that a certain state is Deseret instead of Utah suggests that in the SLOPverse, the polygamists retained control of the Mormon church

Also the fact that the western New Dominion/FUS border corresponds more closely to the British Oregon claim from the war of 1812, rather than the eventual 49th parallel settlement...

Also the fact that NS/NB/and PEI have been absorbed into Maine

Also the strange anachronism that Acadia is located in what we know as Manitoba, suggests that the Acadians might have been forcibly relocated yet again, and/or split between Cadi and Acadia.

There is also the fact that most of the provinces and territories of the New Dominion closely mirror the names of the dominant native tribes of the area. Perhaps the colonisation of the New Dominion went a lot differently than it did in our world.

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 am 
Serious about SLOP

Nice map. Bit familiar, yet foreign. "Someone" said: "This has all happened before. This will all happen again". This is just the way it happened this time around.

Still don't know what's "67" and "39". GPS coordinates? That'd be a pretty large area. At least a tank of gas, or $467. Saw a sign at a gas station today; "Our Premium is 100% Ethanol Free". That'd almost make you spring for the Good Stuff, wouldn't it?

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 pm 
UnderDog

'the good stuff' is a relative term. I'm rebuilding an old Dodge. Gimme some R+M/2 110 octane laced with tetraethyl lead and I'll make this toy scoot. As it is, we'll stop at 10:1 and run it on (un alcoholled) 'premium' unleaded. Sigh.

--lj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

Wotan wrote:
There is also the fact that most of the provinces and territories of the New Dominion closely mirror the names of the dominant native tribes of the area. Perhaps the colonization of the New Dominion went a lot differently than it did in our world.

I've been letting Runs With Stick read our human history.
She just shook her head. "I see you slaughtered everyone in your path as well."

Uncle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:33 pm 
Preternaturalist

I really enjoyed checking this map out Mulefoot!

I've been so busy this is the first moment I've had to just enjoy browsing SLOP and the forum again!

Taking note of the various state borders and boundaries, it popped into my mind that, in the case of ones that are essentially the same as our world's (the "soldier formed by Louisiana, Arkansas, and such, for example), it'd be interesting to have two channels of history playing side-by-side from each universe showing the events that caused those borders to be formed, and seeing both the parallels and the divergences between the two different realities...

Also,...it's always interesting to be reminded of just how far the main mass of Alaska is actually separated from the rest of the United States...

Anyway,...great job, my friend!

Jadugara ^_^