rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ghetto Grip!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:07 am 
Serious about SLOP

Very nice touch having Mr. slat-thin spike-buck hold his pistol sideways. The ghetto grip that only kills innocent bystanders but misses the target in drive-bys! :P

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Post subject: Re: Ghetto Grip!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 am 
SLOP Editor-in-Beef

In the world of Slop, Tony and Sam are probably in the top 20 folks you don't want to pull a gun on.
What a difference a page makes. We now know what Uthy's problem is. She's still alive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

I see this as getting about as ugly as when the gooks de-nutted Simon.

And I think, if I read between the lines correctly, Sam just asked Tony to "solve" the problem with Uthalla.

Uncle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Wotan wrote:
Very nice touch having Mr. slat-thin spike-buck hold his pistol sideways. The ghetto grip that only kills innocent bystanders but misses the target in drive-bys! :P

It's not the most accurate way to use a pistol, that's for sure. However, some folks think it looks bad ass. I wonder if Tony and Sam will be impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:32 pm 
UnderDog

I b'lieve the Fen (that >is< a Fen ain't it?) has just committed what we in the trade refer to as a "Serious Fuckup". I don't see her (him? Do the girls have antlers?) having mcuch more than a day or two to regret it, and the time left isn't going to be at all pleasnt. Bug, meet windshield.

--lj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

littljohn wrote:
I b'lieve the Fen (that >is< a Fen ain't it?) has just committed what we in the trade refer to as a "Serious Fuckup". I don't see her (him? Do the girls have antlers?) having mcuch more than a day or two to regret it, and the time left isn't going to be at all pleasnt. Bug, meet windshield.

--lj

Fel. He's a Fel with fucked up, tiny antlers. As to why they're fucked up will be addressed on the next page.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm 
UnderDog

Awright, he. I couldn't tell, is he wearing a vest or sporting a set of titties. Time will tell. (Sometimes, time tells too much) I wouldn't be surprised if the two pros didn't just give him what he wants and laugh about it later. However, I expect he will be leaving the paarking lot feetfirst as opposed to dickfirst.

--lj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 pm 
Sloppworthy

Oh, this guy/girl or whatever he is, is gonna be leaving in PIECES

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 am 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

Y'know, there's a problem with those little pocket automatics. You shoot someone with one they're likely to get mad, and then they might hurt you.

I'm guessing that Cousin Vennie(son) is on some serious controlled substances or something. In the first place it explains why he has chosen this way of making a living. (Cue Clint: "Dyin' ain't much of a way to make a livin, boy.") Robbery to feed an expensive addiction is a story we all know too well.

Then Vennie has seriously screwed-up antlers. That might be a hormonal imbalance. He might even be an antlered she; does with antlers don't get good ones. But he also is emaciated- ribs showing- and has a pot belly. That points to junk food but not enough of it.

At the very least this fellow has some serious malnutrition going on. It's also likely his metabolism is screwed up. Ignoring your nutritional needs, becoming a walking skeleton on heroin, and having your metabolism destroyed by drugs is also a story we know too well.

Why not just starving? Because food is cheap, especially for an herbivore. Even if he'd lost the deer's ability to live off of browse or hard grain, a loaf of bread is cheap. Too cheap to try armed robbery for; all he'd need is spare change.

Vennie isn't a threat to professionals like Tony and Sam, even assuming neither is armed; not an assumption I'd be comfortable making. Pigs is tough, and Mulefoot is a big 'un, combat trained and a stone killer to boot. Vennie's toast, if either of them care to make a move. On the other hand neither Tony nor Sam want to appear in the newspaper story about it. And they were just discussing Uthalla, weren't they? How would she react if she saw Tony's picture on the evening news?

Not well, I think.

So the question isn't what recipe to use for grilled venison. The question is how to grill Vennie without anybody noticing, without a handy river to dispose of the evidence. I'm wondering who is going to make the move, and what the move might be.

Heck, Vennie might even survive this, if disposing of him would be too inconvenient. I wouldn't bet on that though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:14 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

I guess I missed something because when I look at the 3 panels showing the fel's antlers I get the impression "broken" more than "malformed." I can't remember if Slop's fels are the kind that periodically shed their antlers, either, so this fellow might have a permanent disfigurement or just be in the middle of a growing season. My other impressions are just like what everyone else has said - his skin, like his clothes are just hanging off his bones; the grip of the pistol shows he is more familiar with intimidating people than actually shooting to hit anything; and the place he chooses to do his mugging, outside of a closed and abandoned restaurant in an isolated area, shows this to be an unplanned and lazy attempt for scratch.

Sam returned Tony to where he picked him up outside the Maple Log. There are no patrons, no employees, no passers-by, just the backside of a building where no-one streetside can see what is going on behind a boarded up shop. Witnesses: none. If, uh... Venni, are we calling him?.. If Venni winds up dead-ed few would question how or by whom a punk junkie was put out of his misery. And if Venni vanishes, those who knew him would assume the worst. Unless things are really slow, this would not be newsworthy.

But I disagree with the notion that the pocket-pistol is not lethal. Ever since I saw Mythbusters' "Coffin Punch" and researched The Naked Scientists' similar test at Cavendish Lab's Surface, Microstructure and Fracture Group I have come to the conclusion that all modern handguns are designed to kill and no amount of muscle and fat on a humanoid target is an impediment to a bullet fired from such on its path to perforate organs and blood vessels. 14" of cow muscle didn't prevent a bullet from passing through with lethal force and neither did 16" of body temperature cow fat; if the bullet is on a trajectory for an organ then it is going to hit that organ unless there is a dense bone with the angle to deflect or the mass to absorb that deadly force. The Slop world I imagine to be no different to ours in how and why weapons are made. The smallest handgun would be designed to kill the biggest known threat in order to be commercially successful. So that pocket-pistol of Venni's is no laughing matter since it was designed with the knowledge that Veprs exist and could be at the other end of the barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

Well, you're right that a pocket pistol is no laughing matter. However, to go gun geeking for a bit here:

The question is never whether a self-defense pistol will kill. I read once that it has happened that a circus elephant was killed by an accidental shot from a .22 derringer, and (especially if you allow for infection) I don't doubt that it is possible.

The problem is that a proper defense weapon is not designed to kill. It is designed to STOP the other guy before he kills YOU. Here is where the light pocket pistols, some of which are chambered for those self-same .22 rimfire cartridges, can to be lacking. Yes, they can kill instantly, and they are very likely to kill eventually, especially if you empty the magazine into your target-- a favorite tactic of the Mossad, supposedly, because the recoil of a light pistol is so slight that rapid accurate fire is easy and the noise of the .22 could also be mistaken for a motorbike with a bad muffler or some such.

If you shoot the guy, though, and he stomps you into a grease stain in the snow, wanders off, and dies ten minutes later, that's little comfort to you.

There's a reason that cops and soldiers carry a weapon with more power than this. It's bulkier, heavier, less convenient, and more expensive, but it is also more likely to stop the bad guy with a single shot. In fact the reason the US ended up with a .45 automatic pistol as their main military handgun for so long was that they were using .38s against the Moros in the Philippines in the 1890s (a "modern" double action revolver, similar to those some cops still use) and it wasn't stopping the machette-armed Moros. Yes, they would die if shot by it, but they were showing a distressing tendency to hack their enemies to bits before doing so.

Any handgun (or other weapon, I suppose) is a trade-off between many goals, ability to conceal and price being among them. Small blowback automatic pistols are simple, cheap, and concealable. Much better than looking around for a rock to throw, and plenty in a situation where all you need to do is say "Back off, I have a GUN." But they tend to be inaccurate AND hard to shoot to what accuracy potential they have, AND unlikely to stop their target quickly with a single hit. Especially if the person waving one around doesn't know boo about shooting it. Especially if the person shot at sees it coming and has time for adrenaline to kick in.

Finally, having the drop on somebody like this is not that great an advantage if the person you're aiming at knows what they're doing and decides to attack. It's an old trick of exhibition shooters to have someone up on the stage with a cap pistol in hand and ask them to shoot it before the trick shooter can draw and fire at a target. The trick shooter will draw and fire before the audience member can react, of course. Because the audience member is standing there having decided NOT to shoot until he sees the other guy move. He has to see that, react to it, and reverse his muscle set from refraining to shoot to pulling the trigger, and by the time he can do that, he's too late.

I couldn't do that. But someone who was well trained could.

I should also add that like many other products guns aren't really designed to perform their apparent function; they are designed to sell and make the manufacturer some money. If they are completely ineffectual but sell well, that's all the manufacturer needs to care about. Most companies that make things want to do better than this, but we all know companies who don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

There have been lot of people killed by horribly anemic cartridges through out the years. Many a many died from being shot in the gut by a .41 rimfire a few days or weeks after the original shooting. Used in many derringers, the .41 rimfire had about 52 foot/pounds of energy. Compare this to the .44 magnum, which according to Dirty Harry will blow your head clean off. That round carries about 1200 foot/pounds of force. Think about that... 52 versus 1200. And yet if someone pulled an old .41 rimfire pocket pistol on me, I'd be very cautious.

There's a psychological impact to guns. This is why the racking of a pump shotgun is the bane of a burglar's existence and why I know that even though I'd very likely survive being shot once with a .41 rimfire, especially with medical help. When a mugger pulls a pistol of any sort, his intent is to rely on your fear of pain and dying to make you comply. The round with the most kills attributed to it amongst the civillian popuation of the US, I think is the .357 magnum. Its a great self-defense around with quite effective stopping power. That is to say, it stops people. Sometimes it doesn't stop them fast enough. Where my mother used to live, a drug dealer lived down the street. He was attacked by an addict and defended himself with his trusty .357 magnum. He shot the addict 3 times in the torso. The addict still wrestled the gun away from the dealer, shot him in the stomach once and then they both died shortly after. Good stopping power but not perfect stopping power.

The meth-headed Fel on the current page probably is counting not on the stopping power of his pistol, but the psychological leverage, it provides. Its important, however, to talk about the calibers considered necessary for hunting or defending yourself from wildlife. The calibers are higher, heavier and more powerful when you start talking about larger animals. You need "stopping power". You can successfully defend yourself from a bear using .22 LR, but its not that easy. You certainly can't rely on the psychological effects of handguns to deter the bear.

It should be noted that most of the population in SLOP's FUS is within the human averages. In my own general rules for the universe, 80% of SLOP races are around human averages in terms of height and weight. 10% of the races are smaller and 10% of the races are larger on average. Tony is 6'10 and about 450 pounds. Veprs get that big. Brice was 4'10 and about 90 pounds. Reynard are about that small. There are races with average heights even taller than Veprs. Check out this Bos.

http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=21&nc=1

Harhursa are around Vepr sized or larger.
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... 6&p=5&nc=1

Now, since most muggers don't want to actually kill anyone, they just want some money... one can figure that the deer isn't intending to shoot unless he really truly has to. He's going to rely on fear and intimidation to get the job done. Ask yourself...do you really want to try to intimidate Sam and Tony? That's NOT an easy task.

For the record, the Fel mugger's name is Roy "El Roy" Buxton. Every critter that appears in SLOP gets a name and a tiny backstory in my head, even if they're only appearing in a single panel. I don't think El Roy is going to get what he expected.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:35 pm 
Slice of Sly

Venison.
I think to old friends might share a meal at a favorite restaurant.

How about a new forum channel with the posted mini backstories of the 'extras'? Its a shame to let them go to waste.

Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Nah--

Would you eat a methhead? Or chronic wasting disease. Whichever. That isn't healthy venison.

Of course, "healthy" isn't pulling that little thing on -2- guys. Whichever one he can't cover........

Compost

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:49 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

neandernitz wrote:
Would you eat a methhead?

I'm reminded of a scene in Love at First Bite, where the Count is complaining to Renfield about having a hangover from biting a wino.

I'm thinking also, that that (probably) .25 auto with the genuine mother of plastic handles is going to be about as effective as a piece of pipe on Mulefoot.
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.php?v=1&i=1&f=1&p=11&nc=1

Uncle