rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:47 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

I was wondering how far or tightly the lines of genetic diversity are drawn?

As Tony pointed out, "Cross species marriages have been legal since the '60s"

Bizarre hybrids are not a normal occurrence I would think.

So what do they do for children? Adopt? Clinical approach...artificial insemination? Or does society such as it is, because of the wide species diversity, allow a certain amount of "indiscretion" on the part of one spouse or the other to allow the mother to get pregnant or the husband to father a child?

Admittedly, the genetic barriers do make "playing the field" a lot safer. (With the exception of the usual social diseases.)

Uncle.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:00 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

I never found disease to be very sociable. Never polite and always crashing where they weren't invited simply because they're a "friend of a friend."

If the interbreed rivalry of the canid race is any indication then the interspecies mating and marrying is barely tolerated where there is enough enforcement to protect those rights. Which specie out-propagates the other species is the elephant in the room when it comes to any sexual relations between them. I can't imagine that either polite society or blue-collar joes looking favorably on such, which leaves this as the realm of black market trysts (the fel prostitute), criminal acts (Tony), and the discontent rebelling against the norm (sheep secretary). At best it would be like illegal drugs are here, people from across all sections of society abuse them but the social consequences for being discovered become increasingly severe the further up society's ladder you are and the dangers of being killed are greater the closer you are to the bottom yet there are those who will experiment and others who will get hooked.

I just got done thinking this through and writing it out when I looked back at what started this and realized I didn't come close to what you were asking, Uncle. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Andrick wrote:
I just got done thinking this through and writing it out when I looked back at what started this and realized I didn't come close to what you were asking, Uncle. Sorry about that.

*grins* no problem, try again. ;-)

Uncle.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Here's how it works in SLOP.
Generally if they can't hybridize in our world, they can't in SLOP. However, since the denizens of the SLOP universe are genetically converged (the Great Convergence) to a degree, some hybrids that were almost possible in our world are possible in SLOP.

As far as I know, vulpines and canines cannot hybridize in our world. In SLOP they sometimes can. Laura Deighton was a wolf/fox hybrid. Her father is obviously a Todd but we never saw her mother. Sean, Mr. Deighton's right hand man is also his brother-in-law. He's wolf ilk...Vilkin. Laura, if she had lived, would have been probably sterile, but not necessarily.

Tag (tigers) and Oroslani/Singha (lions) can hybridize. In the past, the hybrids didn't do well in either society and were pariahs. Now you can find quite a few hybrids of this sort on a multi-generational basis.

I haven't decided about the other big cat races in SLOP such as Oncano (you'll meet one in a few pages). I don't think hybridization tween Seer (lynx folk) and the other cats are possible but maybe it could happen in SLOP. Wotan has been helping me flesh out the felines so hopefully he'll chime in.

The mustelids in SLOP can interbreed to the point that Fitch really are a through mix of a few different weasel peoples. Shellers (otters) can occasionally hybridize with Fitch and Brock but its rare.

All the Hahursa(bear) can breed with each other.

Teg (sheep) and Coronado (goats) might possibly hybridize in SLOP but its rare.

Some of the races in SLOP are just kind of isolated. There's no other bunnies for the Cunni to breed with.

Fel might be able to hybridize with an antelope race that I haven't shown yet.

Just follow real world rules most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

Mulefoot wrote:

Well said sir.

Now, what about the social interactions of cross species couples.

Uncle.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 pm 
UnderDog

"There's no other bunnies for the Cunni to breed with."

And that's what makes them so dam' mean.

--lj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am 
Serious about SLOP

Mulefoot wrote:
I don't think hybridization tween Seer (lynx folk) and the other cats are possible but maybe it could happen in SLOP. Wotan has been helping me flesh out the felines so hopefully he'll chime in...

Looks like Muley's thrown up the tiger-signal, and I've been summoned. :P

I'd normally be a little reluctant to reveal a project I've been working on before it reaches its completion (i.e., the work on the information for the various SLOPverse felid species), but here's a bit from the draft document for the Seer and Vazak species (Seer being lynx of the American continent, and Vazak being lynx of the Afrasian continent).

It is assumed that, like their Seer cousins, Vazak are capable of producing offspring with a number of other small felid species, though there are almost no known instances of this having happened.
In the case of the Seer Peoples, although cross-species matings are almost as rare as within the Vazak Cultures, there have been several recorded cases of crosses with several small cat species of compatible size and physiology.

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Mulefoot wrote:
Generally if they can't hybridize in our world, they can't in SLOP. However, since the denizens of the SLOP universe are genetically converged (the Great Convergence) to a degree, some hybrids that were almost possible in our world are possible in SLOP.

As far as I know, vulpines and canines cannot hybridize in our world. In SLOP they sometimes can. Laura Deighton was a wolf/fox hybrid. Her father is obviously a Todd but we never saw her mother. Sean, Mr. Deighton's right hand man is also his brother-in-law. He's wolf ilk...Vilkin. Laura, if she had lived, would have been probably sterile, but not necessarily.

Tag (tigers) and Oroslani/Singha (lions) can hybridize. In the past, the hybrids didn't do well in either society and were pariahs. Now you can find quite a few hybrids of this sort on a multi-generational basis.

I haven't decided about the other big cat races in SLOP such as Oncano (you'll meet one in a few pages). I don't think hybridization tween Seer (lynx folk) and the other cats are possible but maybe it could happen in SLOP. Wotan has been helping me flesh out the felines so hopefully he'll chime in.

The mustelids in SLOP can interbreed to the point that Fitch really are a through mix of a few different weasel peoples. Shellers (otters) can occasionally hybridize with Fitch and Brock but its rare.

All the Hahursa(bear) can breed with each other.

Teg (sheep) and Coronado (goats) might possibly hybridize in SLOP but its rare.

Some of the races in SLOP are just kind of isolated. There's no other bunnies for the Cunni to breed with.

Fel might be able to hybridize with an antelope race that I haven't shown yet.

Just follow real world rules most of the time.

Which leaves unexplained the inevitable exception to those rules, (there's always an exception, right?) um, >erk< , Uthy.

Is she some improbable hybrid of reptilian and mammalian? ("They're Real!") Was she born, or hatched, or just kind of materialized downstream from the Union Carbide plant? Can she reproduce? (Gawd she'd be a lovely mother. Kids or dinner? Dinner or kids? Mmm-- Both!) Are there others of, um, "her kind", or is she an isolated incident, like the squirrel of a thousand eyes on the Simpsons?

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 pm 
Slopplicant

Wotan wrote:
Mulefoot wrote:
I don't think hybridization tween Seer (lynx folk) and the other cats are possible but maybe it could happen in SLOP. Wotan has been helping me flesh out the felines so hopefully he'll chime in...

Looks like Muley's thrown up the tiger-signal, and I've been summoned. :P

I'd normally be a little reluctant to reveal a project I've been working on before it reaches its completion (i.e., the work on the information for the various SLOPverse felid species), but here's a bit from the draft document for the Seer and Vazak species (Seer being lynx of the American continent, and Vazak being lynx of the Afrasian continent).

It is assumed that, like their Seer cousins, Vazak are capable of producing offspring with a number of other small felid species, though there are almost no known instances of this having happened.
In the case of the Seer Peoples, although cross-species matings are almost as rare as within the Vazak Cultures, there have been several recorded cases of crosses with several small cat species of compatible size and physiology.

This has got me thinking a bit on certain cat hybrids like the so called "Bengals" and "Savannahs" which are the man-made products of domestic cats and Asian Leopard cats and Servals, respectively. Only the males are sterile in the first few generations after the intitial cross. Makes me wonder if any of this would hold true for the different cat races. However, there is a breed of cat that has Bobcat ancestry from what are supposedly naturally occurring feral cat population hybrids behind it. I'm quite interested in learning more about the different felines, and in particular these lynx species.