The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: You Won't See Him...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm 
Serious about SLOP

So cold...

So very cold. :P

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Post subject: Re: You Won't See Him...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:05 pm 
UnderDog

It's business. Worse, it's warranty work. Unpaid. The sooner the repair, the less one has to worry about a good customer. As long as the numbnuts alligator doesn't show up at an inopportune time, it's cut and dried.
And someone tell Brice, no sense in taking out any new magazine subscriptions.

--lj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:39 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

Sure does look that way. 'Tho with the author's ability to surprise us, I wouldn't say it's 100% certain.

Still, one way in which the Slop Universe differs from most fiction, including my own: Mulefoot doesn't bend the probabilities to magic up a happy ending. Not for anybody.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Havoc wrote:
Sure does look that way. 'Tho with the author's ability to surprise us, I wouldn't say it's 100% certain.

What's the biggest surprise I've sprung so far?
I think surprises should generally follow the same rules that a good mystery novel uses for establishing the killer.

Havoc wrote:
Still, one way in which the Slop Universe differs from most fiction, including my own: Mulefoot doesn't bend the probabilities to magic up a happy ending. Not for anybody.

That's the funny thing with stories. They're not interesting if they logically play out like dominoes. There has to be some contrivance. There has to be coincidence. I don't always feel a happy ending is as important as a satisfying one. The end should be plausible and like a good murder mystery, maybe you should have met the ending before Act I was over. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 am 
Sloppworthy

Mulefoot wrote:

One of the biggest surprises I remember offpaw is when Mulefoot let himself get beat up badly- that was a surprise in of itself- and a certain female nursed him back to health. I never saw it coming that she had listened to him mumble about his murder sprees while he was delirious. Then it was revealed she was badly twisted in her own mind and liked that part of Mulefoot. Perhaps she even preferred his evil half over his good. Liked it enough that she wanted to help him kill...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:59 am 
Sloppworthy

In the fifth panel, it looks like the leopard guy is moving his cigarette in front of his neck. As if to signify Brice is dead. Variant of the finger running over the front of one's throat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:51 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Mulefoot wrote:

That despite everything else, you've continued to write and draw.

So many web comics have just fallen off of the map for a variety of reasons.

Uncle's right proud of you.

Uncle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:22 pm 
Serious about SLOP

AMountainLion wrote:
...the leopard guy...

Señor Sangredeloro is not of the Pardine (i.e., Leopard) peoples. He's acutally an Onçano (evolved from Jaguar progenitors). In the SLOPverse, Onçano and Pardine tend to get rather insulted when one is mistaken for the other. :P

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wotan wrote:
AMountainLion wrote:
...the leopard guy...

Señor Sangredeloro is not of the Pardine (i.e., Leopard) peoples. He's acutally an Onçano (evolved from Jaguar progenitors). In the SLOPverse, Onçano and Pardine tend to get rather insulted when one is mistaken for the other. :P

Scottish, Irish...same thing, right? *giggles*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:00 am 
Sloppworthy

Mulefoot wrote:
Wotan wrote:
AMountainLion wrote:
...the leopard guy...

Scottish, Irish...same thing, right? *giggles*

If I were to accidentally insult him I would love making it up to him. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:52 am 
Serious about SLOP

AMountainLion wrote:
If I were to accidentally insult him I would love making it up to him. :wink:

Since A Mountain Lion is going for innuendo, I think I'll introduce a fun little game of my own that I learned off of fark.com. It's called "insert the hyphen" (not to be confused with "break the hymen", which is another fun game). So, let's see how many different meanings we can get by Inserting the hyphen!

AMountainLion wrote:
If I were to accidentally insult him I would love making-it-up to him. :wink:

Somehow I don't think Señor Sangredeloro would like this one too much.

AMountainLion wrote:
If I were to accidentally insult him I would love-making it up to him. :wink:

He might like this one a little better.

AMountainLion wrote:
If I were to accidentally insult him I would love making-it up to him. :wink:

Hmmmm... Do you live south of where he does?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 am 
Slopplicant

Wotan wrote:
So cold...

So very cold. :P

*shivers a bit*
Sam is answering my questions unasked, no translation needed. He looks like he has no soul behind those eyes. It was lost, or stolen. Perhaps even sold... Something worse than evil looks like it resides in its place. At least that might give some motivation.
This panel and particularly the last image illustrate in Sam what reminds me of Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men. Call it, friend-o. It's not even a question anymore. It's a matter of entropy.
Cold indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:52 pm 
Sloppworthy

Wotan wrote:
Since A Mountain Lion is going for innuendo, I think I'll introduce a fun little game of my own that I learned off of fark.com. It's called "insert the hyphen"...

....?

Not sure if I should think I've been trolled, wonder if you're exasperated with me, or if I should just try to laugh, heh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 pm 
Serious about SLOP

AMountainLion wrote:
Not sure if I should think I've been trolled, wonder if you're exasperated with me, or if I should just try to laugh, heh.

Easy, cougar. Just a bit of harmless humour.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 am 
Serious about SLOP

I'm now wondering if Muley pulled an Al Hirschfeld on this particular page. (Hirschfeld used to hide his daughter Nina's name in almost every cartoon he produced). I have to wonder what "Mil" might mean. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:42 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Squid wrote:
... Sam is answering my questions unasked, no translation needed. He looks like he has no soul behind those eyes. It was lost, or stolen. Perhaps even sold... Something worse than evil looks like it resides in its place...

You might want to give a look at "Sam's Contemplation" on Jadugara's Gallery Page. We had a little discussion about the creepy shine in Sam's eyes and just what kind of a person we took Sam for a few years back. I also remember another forum thread where Sam's inability to be intimate with his wife was put into context with how emotionally broken he is. Sam's ability to glean and collate information is what makes him formidable, add in the tenacity he has shown and he is deadly.

WARNING: if you follow the links below and get hooked on the new media, don't blame me! In hindsight, Sam reminds me of Heinrich Lunge from the anime "Monster." Cold professionalism, unsettling single-mindedness, and filial estrangement are just some of the similar traits the two information detectives have in common though on opposite sides of the law.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Monster looks interesting. I will have to check it out.

I don't seem Sam as arrogant. He's made mistakes. He's gotten things wrong. Strangely enough, I suspect he's far more concerned about collateral damage now that he's a hitman than he when he worked for the FUS government doing intelligence. Either way, he likes a neat and tidy job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 pm 
UnderDog

Like I sadi earlier, warranty work is a bummer.

--lj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm 
Preternaturalist

What an excellent new page Mulefoot! I absolutely love the various close-ups of the big cat's face... I wonder if the cat unconsciously recognizes Sam as a fellow predator at some base instinctual level? How will he react after Sam is gone?

Poor Bryce,...the little lost sheep...

Hard to imagine Sam filling the role of "Bo Peep" though... And even harder to imagine Bryce ever being able to eventually go home "wagging his tail behind him"...

For good or for ill, I don't think Bryce ever gets to come home...

Jadugara ^_^