rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Meet zee Monsta...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 am 
Serious about SLOP

Just goes to show that Samech still has some surprises up his short, floral-printed sleeves.

"Popular lies have ever been the most potent enemies of personal liberty. There is only one way to deal with them. Cut them out, to the very core, just as cancers are..." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Post subject: Re: Meet zee Monsta...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

This turn of events just makes my heart all pitter-patter with anticipation.
I think my butterflies started around page 18 of Samaritan, just a little tease.
By 24-26 I am so excited I can barely stand it. It has been.. five years?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 am 
Serious about SLOP

He's obviously got some questions as well. Kinda left Brice cowering just thinking about it--

We shall see what we shall see......

*Sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation*

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

Last edited by neandernitz on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

That flashback on the bottom.. and the hair style change.. makes me nostalgic in a sinister way. Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 am 
Preternaturalist

Mnnn,...nice little conversational lead-up into a flashback... That makes me really happy,....we don't just get to hear about it,...we get to SEE it... Excellent!

I love that fast dismissal of Brice's frail attempt at telling his little "hero tale"... Poor boy,....as if Sam could give a damn about that kind of stuff... I suppose there's more than merely his emotions concerning sex that are dead inside him... I hope not totally though,...for Sam's sake,...not Brice's... I actually like Sam,...I don't really like Brice that much...

And Brice,...so like a geeky little kid he appears in that wonderful second panel... He's so proud of what he did... His eyes say it all... I may not like him, but I respect the fact that he obviously values what he did for the girl in the hospital,...values it enough to let his eyes show a bit of a sentimental smile in the face of the man who's come to close the book on his little tale... Maybe he actually meant it when he said that if he was to die for saving that girl, so be it... His eyes sure seem to say he meant it, sure enough...

And those same eyes that seem to smile in the face of possible death,...shed a terrible tear only as Sam reminds him of whatever happened that dark night at the river... That one little tear tells me that whatever went down there,...death doesn't hold a candle to it...

Great job on this page Mulefoot... I'm sitting on the edge of my seat in glorious anticipation...

Jadugara ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm 
Sloppworthy

Daww... Brice might have still been a punk in those bottom panels during the flashback, but he looks so forlorn sitting there in the corner crying. I just wanna hug and cuddle him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

Excellent work. Maybe we're going to see what happened and find out what's with that blasted WATCH that's bugged me all this time. I have to believe that watch showed up somewhere else in an earlier scene, before we see it in the "Hi, I'm dead and this is MY WATCH, see it? I have a WATCH!" picture. I've looked for it, honest I have.

But I still have a sinking suspicion that any answer is going to lead to more nagging questions.

That tear in Brice's eye- NOW he cries. That must have been some experience down there if that's what breaks him up, considering what he's facing. Maybe the biggest question is why Mulefoot let him live.

Second biggest: Was letting him live a form of kindness, or just an even greater cruelty? Especially knowing that Sam would be on the trail sooner or later, almost certainly. After all, Mulefoot let slip that clue about having spoken to the forger recently, which led Sam to Brice. And I wouldn't bet a Black Truffle, even half-smoked, that the slip was unintentional.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:24 am 
UnderDog

Sam's professionalism is totally gone now. He's got a personal interest to satisfy. Which isn't gonna help Brice any unless Sam's lapse includes being careful - which it likely ain't.
Matterofact, what happens if Sam simply tosses Brice in the trunk and heads back north? Phone call, "Hay Rooter, meet me at the Log, I got a present for ya". And when he gets there open the truck and give the reynard to Mulefoot. "Don't say I never gave ya anything".

--lj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

Interesting to see all these different takes everyone is presenting on just these three characters - Sam, Brice, & Tony. Sometimes, with the wildly different impressions of the characters and the events that engulf them, I wonder if there is some other material to which other people have special access to color those happenings so alien to my impressions of those same events.

I like the conversation as it started with the current page. Sam just started in and the audience was right there with him until Brice started talking about the one thing Sam had mentioned to him earlier. Artistry mimicking life. Brice didn't know why Sam was there or what Sam was after. The reynard only started in with the only logical thing, which was the rescue story that brought the brock to him. That monkey wrench of context nearly caused me to laugh out loud. Sam is thinking about what happened at the river, Brice is thinking about the girl, and Tony is thinking "mmm, pancakes." Those little bumps of reality in an otherwise smooth narrative makes the telling more "real" and more intense for me because the characters are more than just the narrative in Mulefoot's story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 am 
Slopplicant

That last picture in the middle panel tells me the abyss is still looking back at Brice. What will we see, when we peer over the edge? Brice doesn't seem to be dangling willingly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:43 pm 
Slice of Sly

Quote:
Daww... Brice might have still been a punk in those bottom panels during the flashback, but he looks so forlorn sitting there in the corner crying. I just wanna hug and cuddle him. -AML

This was my reaction too. I keep forgetting Mulefoot's a predator. Did seeing weakness stir sympathy or appetite?

Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:05 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

vopisca wrote:
That flashback on the bottom.. and the hair style change..

Quite often, I miss little things like this. Tony Ray has a Flat-Top looking haircut. Rita has a Flat-Top looking haircut. Now, Brice has a Flat-Top looking haircut. Emulation of a father-figure, perhaps?

Good eye, Vop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

Y'all are missing the point.

Back at the river, Brice is looking at his reflection in the water when he realizes that Tony's about to club him.
He wakes up with a muzzle full of razor blades and Tony heads off to do what ever it is Tony does in his free time.
Later we get a glimpse of "wonder rapist" working at a hospital.
Then Sam figures out, "Oh fuck I think we delivered the wrong body."

How many times do I have to repeat myself here, "There is NO wasted ink in Slop."

Sam has the luxury of sitting with Brice and the desire to find out what exactly happened. And he doesn't have that psycho "Bitey" there with him to screw things up.

End result? Brice, now known as Scotty ends up dead. Scotty will continue to be Brice hanging on Mr. Deighton's office wall. And Sam's ass will remain covered.

Uncle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

*reads Uncle's post*
*reads entire thread*
*rereads Uncle's post*
Uncle? Who are you talking to? Only one person posted in this thread with any indication in his/her post that might indicate that Brice may survive this ordeal and that is purely speculative on the potential possibilities created by not killing the reynard right way; however, that post is more commentary on the perceived character of Sam according to his current actions as opposed to predicting any outcomes. The conversation so far has been about the looks of these characters, past and present, and statements analogous to buckling-up and taking a deep breath before the coaster takes the plunge. Are you sure you are not in the wrong thread with this post?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 am 
UnderDog

Geez, you use a lotta long words.....

--lj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am 
Preternaturalist

Uncle wrote:
Y'all are missing the point.

Back at the river, Brice is looking at his reflection in the water when he realizes that Tony's about to club him.
He wakes up with a muzzle full of razor blades and Tony heads off to do what ever it is Tony does in his free time.
Later we get a glimpse of "wonder rapist" working at a hospital.
Then Sam figures out, "Oh fuck I think we delivered the wrong body."

How many times do I have to repeat myself here, "There is NO wasted ink in Slop."

Sam has the luxury of sitting with Brice and the desire to find out what exactly happened. And he doesn't have that psycho "Bitey" there with him to screw things up.

End result? Brice, now known as Scotty ends up dead. Scotty will continue to be Brice hanging on Mr. Deighton's office wall. And Sam's ass will remain covered.

Uncle.

But wait,...I'm thinking you might be forgetting the fact that, at one point, Tony Ray thinks back on that night and we get to see a vision of Brice pointing a shotgun at Tony, which obviously had something to do with Brice escaping, which should have been impossible considering that, as you said, the last we saw, Brice was tied up with a mouthful of razor-blades waiting to get buggered to death...

I'm thinking the whole point of what's about to happen is that Sam is about to hear a story of how all that went down that is so shocking (considering what he knows about how Tony Ray operates) that it just might change the entire nature of Brice's fate... What may go down might become much more complex and confounding than a simple bullet to the head... I could be wrong, but this kind of build-up seems to promise a much more interesting, climactic outcome than merely, "thanks for the story kid,....bye"..... (BANG)...

Not saying Brice is gonna live through this, I just know the quality of story I've seen so far, and have no reason to believe we don't have quite a few surprises yet to come...

Jadugara ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:49 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Jadugara wrote:
....... and we get to see a vision of Brice pointing a shotgun at Tony,

...... Which opens a whole 'nother can-O-worms--

The skeleton by the river, with the shotgun shells strewn around.

"Boy, how many times have I told you to police your brass?"

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm 
Preternaturalist

neandernitz wrote:
Jadugara wrote:
....... and we get to see a vision of Brice pointing a shotgun at Tony,

...... Which opens a whole 'nother can-O-worms--

The skeleton by the river, with the shotgun shells strewn around.

"Boy, how many times have I told you to police your brass?"

Hmnnn,...yeah,...since seeing that vision of Brice with a shotgun, I'd been wondering, in the back of my mind, if there was any possible link between him and the skeleton with the back of its head blown off....

Jadugara ^_^