rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:28 pm 
UnderDog

I'll almost swap with ya. Three or four nights of babysitting a tower rigging crew from 1A to 5A, starting tonight. It is windy and for here anyway cold. Did I mention, these guys do not have English as a first language?... or a second as far as I can tell. Can yoiu say 'Chinese fire drill'? I knew ya could... I anticipate tools and fitings hitting all across North Georgia in this wind. With luck, none of the riggers will fall off. It is messy. I shall observe from a distance. Upwind.

--lj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:23 am 
Slopplicant

Just a squid from Furaffinity that hides behind a dark cloud most of the time. I bring my own shadow with me, but sooner or later that smokescreen must part. I'm here because SLOP reminds me that there are scabs in certain places that need to be picked at. Some things are never meant to heal, but kept open and dirty. *lemontwist grin*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Squid wrote:
Just a squid from Furaffinity that hides behind a dark cloud most of the time. I bring my own shadow with me, but sooner or later that smokescreen must part. I'm here because SLOP reminds me that there are scabs in certain places that need to be picked at. Some things are never meant to heal, but kept open and dirty. *lemontwist grin*

Welcome there, one with the lemontwist grin. I look forward to reading your posts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 am 
Slopplicant

Mulefoot wrote:
Squid wrote:

Welcome there, one with the lemontwist grin. I look forward to reading your posts.

*cackles evilly* Looks like Tony-Ray has a few sores that have been left to fester between Uthalla and Brice, along with whatever baggage seems to come attached to them. Thank you muchly, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:07 pm 
UnderDog

Welcome Squid. Sighthounds? Waa-a-a-y cool! The pic looks a lot like a Beagle Lady I know from N Alabama. Where ya at?

--lj in N GA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 am 
Slopplicant

Thanks for the welcome. Sighthounds can never get too much love. I actually live in northern California just outside of the San Francisco Bay Area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 am 
UnderDog

Elegance, 'specially the big ones. It is to drool..

--lj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

Hey y'all. vopisca is more of my username across the 'net than an actual name.. but you can call me it if you'd like.
I've been lurking for almost four years. I adore this comic and the world it is set in.

I have spent most of my life flitting about in the South-east. I am a cultural anthropology student about to graduate with my B.a. and then I hope to venture into Texas for graduate school. I was raised among furries and spent some of my earliest years in and out of Sci Fi, Gaming, and Furry cons. I find it quite amusing when I recognize people now. I spend my free time (hah, what's that?) sketching, writing fiction, researching, and role-playing. Oh, and working. Sleeping happens sometimes too. I love learning and meeting new people. And eating.

Ask me anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

vopisca wrote:
I hope to venture into Texas for graduate school.

We'll be waiting for you. ;-)

Uncle
(lurking in central TX)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Welcome aboard, Vopisca. Excuse me while I whip this out.
<copypaste>Mind if I just call you Vop? What attracted you to the "Slop" comic? Is there a character in the story that you like the most? What is it about the Vepr, Tony, that you most dislike? Are you partial to the Ford Prefect? Are four doors good and two doors better? Whose avatar image do you find the most interesting? Have you answered these types of questions before? Do you mind if I have a bite? What is the nature of perceived reality?

Please explain in detail briefly.</copypaste> :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

Andrick wrote:
Welcome aboard, Vopisca. Excuse me while I whip this out.
<copypaste>
1.) Mind if I just call you Vop? Not at all.
2.) What attracted you to the "Slop" comic? I always make a habit of keeping tabs on the people I come across at Cons and the like, or people associates speak of.. Four years ago would have been AC, I think. Fanart of Mulefoot led me to Mulefoots page on FA which led me to Slop.
3.) Is there a character in the story that you like the most? Good ol' Tony-Ray.
4.) What is it about the Vepr, Tony, that you most dislike? That I cannot hear him speak his parts throughout all the written narrative.
5.) Are you partial to the Ford Prefect? I always have my towel.
6.) Are four doors good and two doors better? As long as they are functional.. although I lean towards four because I hate having people drag their bums across the back of the front seats to flail into the back..
7.) Whose avatar image do you find the most interesting? Jadugara
8.) Have you answered these types of questions before? It is customary.
9.) Do you mind if I have a bite? I am very neutral on whether or not you exercise your ability to control your mandibles.
10.) What is the nature of perceived reality? Purely subjective.

Please explain in detail briefly.</copypaste> :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, vopisca.

Kind of an ominous praenom you got there.
I'm looking forward to your contributions and already are enjoying a few. Be seeing you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:19 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. I look forward to sinking my teeth in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 am 
UnderDog

Welcome. P'cola? It's been decades.........
You make it to FWA?

--lj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 am 
Mad as a Marsh Hare

littljohn wrote:
Welcome. P'cola? It's been decades.........
You make it to FWA?

--lj

When I have the cash.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:55 am 
UnderDog

Lemme know if you get there in '12. I usually haul a vanload out to eat at some point during the con.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm 
Serious about SLOP

vopisca wrote:
Andrick wrote:

8.) Have you answered these types of questions before? It is customary.

So I've noticed, in various places. What is the origin of this custom?

Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Which, the asking of questions to a new face who wants to join a social grouping or the mimicry of such a real world activity transposed to their online equivalents, Neandernitz? Ima' guess the latter. I know that when I first became engaged in an online forum in the late '90s asking questions of newbs was already in practice. I imagine the events of the '90s required the use of a tried and true practice. With computers no longer the sole domain of science nerds and the internet gradually shifting from college bulletin boards to immediate information and (varying) quality entertainment on the cheap, the influx of the general population meant any given person with whom one interacts can vary wildly in culture, education, ethnicity, sensibility, age, intellect, and gender. Unlike the real world, one cannot simply glance at another person in an online conversation and spot visual clues of the other's socio-economic status or listen for linguistic accents betraying regional origins and upbringing.

Those outsiders who "surfed the web" could have been anybody so how best to find those common ground topics for real conversations other than to start asking questions? At least, that is my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Fair 'nuff. I actually didn't mean the asking of questions, more the type of questions. Some of the lists of inquiries I've seen on other sites seem rather bizarre on the surface. Maybe like the Rorschach tests, the responses might give more insight than age, gender or location, I assume.

Careful what you wish for, tho'; in my experience, "normal" doesn't exist. Scuff the paint off anyone you might pick, there's a better than average probability you will find a slightly discolored mass of, well, "optional content".

I'm particularly amazed that people will run for office, or otherwise draw attention, and then express such indignation when poking the surface with sharp sticks reveals bonepiles of epic proportions. Do they really think making a public spectacle of themselves won't draw attention? I'm approaching geezerhood faster than I prefer, and even so my first response is a search engine.

Livestock producers know how to get rid of a body. If you have a few hogs, it's even easier. But I digress.

Welcome, Vop, and all who follow. :P

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Given our previous discussion Re: the customary inquisit-- er, intros, and as I haven't done one before:
Andrick wrote:
When did you first become interested in Slop?

Does "editor in beef" make you salivate?

Is there a Slop character that you envy? Why?

Is there a Slop character you despise? Why?

What is the most disturbing thing about Tony's narrative?

Would you please post a link to your favorite page of Slop and tell us why you chose it?

What would be the best sauce for you to marinate in properly?

What do you like in Mulefoot's work that you did not see elsewhere?

Why do you suppose that the conquistadors of Slop, who begat the coyano, were called the wolven conquerors given that ethnicities still seem to have a wide mix of species?

1) I knew some of the principals here from other places, and saw bits and pieces of Slop on FA, and came and lurked here 'till I couldn't stand it anymore, and signed up. I'm thinking like '08, initially.

2) Um, yeah, but maybe in more ways than you'd expect. While I certainly know "Where's the Beef?", and ern't about to give up the Batter Fried Critter Bits, I've also had several friends and companions of the Bovine persuasion. ( http://www.furaffinity.net/user/neandernitz/ ) (I've revised the settings, so all can view.)

3) Don't know that I'd go with a particular character, as much as the entire Slopiverse. It's a lovely place of diverse individuals much more likely to react in a deeply satisfying way to the challenges the world imposes. Maybe not the best way, or the most thought-out, but tempting…..

4) Uthy, without a doubt. Tho' capable of speech, I have serious reservations regarding her sentience. As in unthinking; unable to control her actions. Voted "Most likely to step in front of a semi-truck without looking, if her prey was on the other side of the road."

5) That he inevitably kills off those who try to help him. There are more than enough folks whose best and highest service to humanity (slopanity?) is to be backed over by a D8; we need all the good natured canids we can get--

6) Um, well….. Those who know me, don't have to ask 8)….. them that don't, "Si ego certiorem faciam.... mihi tu delendus eris".

7) Marinate me personally? Probably some formulation of GOJO and KY Stallion Sauce, maybe a bit of lanolin……

8 ) Sentient animals (as opposed to furry humans).
Familiar locale. (OK, so I'm a redneck. And not the Comedy Central version.)
Exquisite detail, not just blank background.
Accuracy, even in pointless background details.
Never knowing which background details will be important later.
Multiple story lines buried within story lines.
Characters with specific personalities, instead of specieist cliches.
Wondering WTF that was all about (you know, just like real life).

9) Um, the implied facts in this question haven't been read into evidence. A wide mix of species interbred with wolves? I was out sick that day. ……..Could you repeat the question……..?
*Stalls for time*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
UnderDog

Andrick wrote:
When did you first become interested in Slop? When the Artiste made me aware he was gonna draw it.

Does "editor in beef" make you salivate? Nah, me n him go wa-a-a-ay back. Drool is long gone by now if there ever was any.

Is there a Slop character that you envy? Maybe Cooper, I dunno. Hafta meet him first. Why? He seems reasonably rational in his own way.

Is there a Slop character you despise? Uthalla. Why? Don't like reptiles, fuckups, and inconsiderate people. She's all of those.

What is the most disturbing thing about Tony's narrative? That it keeps stopping for too long.

Would you please post a link to your favorite page of Slop and tell us why you chose it? Mulefoot boning the hooker. Cause he's realistic at it.

What would be the best sauce for you to marinate in properly? J-lube mixed using Booker's bourbon.

What do you like in Mulefoot's work that you did not see elsewhere? The cold reality of the SLOP universe

Why do you suppose that the conquistadors of Slop, who begat the coyano, were called the wolven conquerors given that ethnicities still seem to have a wide mix of species? P'raps they were wolves - the progenitors of all the canids.

Sorry ya asked? :):)

--lj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 am 
Slopplicant

Hello, all,

I probably should have introduced myself already, considering this account's been active for a while, but now is as good as a time as any.

I've been reading SLOP for several years now-- Jack introduced me, if I remember correctly-- and the story arcs have never failed to be good.

I live in central Ohio, smack-dab in the only decent city in the state, Columbus. While I would normally say I'm your typical college student, the fact that I'm sitting in my room watching the old Batman Animated Series instead of being a Friday-night ass like the people who live behind me would make a liar of me.

I would like to get involved in this universe's roleplaying section though I'm not sure if that board is still alive...

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Concerning the questions;

When did you first become interested in Slop? [[To be honest, its been a bit too long to remember exactly when or where...]]

Does "editor in beef" make you salivate? [[Nope! It makes me confused... but then, again, lots of things confuse me.]]

Is there a Slop character that you envy? Why? [[Questionable; I've greatly liked characters but I don't think there are any characters I really think could be considered enviable... well, unless you count Carol as she's seems quite pleased with her life...]]

Is there a Slop character you despise? Why? [[Sorry, Uthalla... Maybe because she's just a little to... enthusiastic... about her job in general.]]

What is the most disturbing thing about Tony's narrative? [[I will reply to this if I ever find the answer to my Unified Theory of Morality... which is unlikely to occur in anyone's lifetime.]]

Would you please post a link to your favorite page of Slop and tell us why you chose it? [[TBA]]

What would be the best sauce for you to marinate in properly? [[I would make a snarky remark involving "licking it off" here but ink and pencil carbon would be more apt, given how often my hands and forearms end up blackened with them.]]

What do you like in Mulefoot's work that you did not see elsewhere? [[Frankly, what I like that I see are a lack of moral anvils, a grimdark universe, a fresher plot and, of course, animal people.]]

Why do you suppose that the conquistadors of Slop, who begat the coyano, were called the wolven conquerors given that ethnicities still seem to have a wide mix of species? [[I'm guessing that the wolves hailed from the SLOP equivalent of the Castile province of Spain; like the Castillanos, they conquered the surrounding provinces and established themselves as the leaders of the composite state. Though multiple species (probably of various sorts representing the heads of each province and/or ethnic group, such as the Moors) lived under their banner, the empire was considered "wolven" because they were the faction/species/ethnic group in power at the time.]]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:04 pm 
UnderDog

Geez, if Comeblowus is the only 'decent' city, doesn't say much for the rust belt in general, does it? Haven't been through there in several years, there used to be a big dog show every year, but the participants in my breed have kinda dwindled off, and my friends in the area moved. Maybe we'll see a rennasiance, if the price of gas drops some.

Welcome.

--lj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:55 pm 
Serious about SLOP

Howdy, Khy, Welcome! Don't worry about being confused; you will soon find that it only hurts when you think.
I find your concept of a Unified Theory of Morality intriguing. Not the Morality part, rather the bizarre notion that there will ever be found enough agreement to actually claim Unity. As pointed out however, I doubt it will be my concern in the number of years I have left.
New question: Is our universe any more Moral than Tony Ray's? Ahh, don't go there. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm 
SLOP Editor-in-Beef

Howdy Khy, Welcome to Slop Central.
To help clear up one question you have.
I'm the 'Editor in Beef'.
Since A: I help edit slop.
And B: My fursona is male bovine.

Ramseys T. Bull: Editor in Beef
At your service.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:45 pm 
Slopplicant

littljohn wrote:
Geez, if Comeblowus is the only 'decent' city, doesn't say much for the rust belt in general, does it? Haven't been through there in several years, there used to be a big dog show every year, but the participants in my breed have kinda dwindled off, and my friends in the area moved. Maybe we'll see a rennasiance, if the price of gas drops some.

Welcome.

--lj

After living in Cinci for thirteen years [Correction; 11 years, as this is my third year in Columbus], its a major improvement. On the other hand, my experiences there may very well have caused me to develop an undeserved bias towards most of the state...

As for the Unified Theory of Morality... yeeeeaaaaah. Tis more of a result of a certain friend of mine logic-bombing every system of morality I develop while constantly insisting that morality effectively exists. Essentially, I'm trying to find a basis for morality that comes down to something other than "Because I say so"-- something where you can make things better without falling into the Well-Intentioned Extremist trap. Unfortunately, based on what I've already seen, the UTM is highly unlikely to exist. As for that new question of yours...

Ah! Quite nice to meet you, Mr. Bull and, for that matter, Neandernitz and Littlejohn! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 am 
UnderDog

My Dad grew up in Ft Thomas. Rich people and my family (granddad was the Super of schools there for some time) were about what's there. But it beats Cincy proper. Once upon a time, the EIB was rumored to live in the Columbus exurbs... but he moved.

--lj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 am 
Slopplicant

Sounds about right. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 am 
Slopplicant

I dwell where-the-inbetween-breaks-through.
I treat the poetic use of language like a clock cabbage fetus, and I am not afraid to use it either!
I spend most of my time on my own terms in the treeline of my choosing.
I sculpt, I draw, I write, I game, and I try to stay out of trouble that is not worth it to be into.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Wolfsinn wrote:
I try to stay out of trouble that is not worth it to be into.

An excellent choice, makes life a lot easier to deal with.

Uncle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next