rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Farewell old chum.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:17 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

I should have seen it coming. He was having difficulty walking, and had lost his appetite.

Tuesday, Feb 22nd, my big old dog Boofers fell down and couldn't get back up.
The vet came out to the house and took care of it.

He's been with me for almost 10 years and I really do miss the big old goofball.
165 lbs of rottie that thought he was a lap dog.

So Wednesday, Mar 3rd, one of my customers walks into the store, "Jack told me about Boofers. We just rescued a rottie puppy running around out on the highway, he's yours if you want him." I walked outside to the truck. Love at first sight. How could I say no?

We've named him Sparky in honor of the dog my parents had when they adopted me.

Uncle.

Post subject: Re: Farewell old chum.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:10 pm 
UnderDog

And the Wheel turns yet again.

--lj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:07 pm 
Preternaturalist

Awwww.....damn.... My condolences on the loss of Boofers...

When I was a kid, I always imagined that when I got older, I'd handle the death of my pets more easily, because it seemed to me that's the way it happened with my parents.... It turns out,...I was just fooling myself... They just hid it well for my sake,...and losing friends like that just gets harder and harder...

I'm so glad Sparky turned up in your life, though... Like Littlejohn said, the wheel has a way of turning 'round again...

Blessings to ya!

Jadugara ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:18 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Jadugara wrote:
I'm so glad Sparky turned up in your life, though...

Ya know, I'd forgotten what a bundle of energy these little critters are.
25 pounds and apparently running on Benzedrine 24/7.

The first night, we'd let him sleep on the bed. I woke up several time during the night and he was still totally zonked out on my shoulder. However. the next morning when I got up, he had disappeared. I found him in the living room with every loose piece of clothing or towel he could find. In a pile, with him on top. Happily gnawing on the squirrel plush toy Boofers had.

Oddly enough, he's decided he doesn't really belong in the kitchen. (His idea, not mine.) So he's sitting in the living room watching us fix dinner for him and Mickey (The other old dog) and Little Bit, one of our cats, decides to help with the preparations. Sparky barks at him, runs into the kitchen, grabs him by the fur on his side and drags him sideways into the living room. "You're not allowed in there either."

Sometimes I'm reminded of that TV show Dinosaurs "I'm the baby, Got'ta love me."

Uncle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm 
Preternaturalist

Heh! I wonder what his deal is with the kitchen? That's hilarious!

Most kitchens have tiles, so maybe the tiles weird him out enough that he thinks it's the "wrong" place to be...

I knew a dog once that hated having to maneuver around on the slippery kitchen tiles, and avoided them at all cost, but only when it was time to go eat or drink... Apparently he busted his ass really good several times running to his food dish when he was young, so now, any time he goes to get food or water (but not any other time he galumphs through the kitchen), he very carefully and slowly walks over to his bowls (literally looks like concentrated slow motion), like he's afraid he'll take another nose dive any second! It's like he doesn't associate his past clumsiness and reckless speed with the crashes, but instead imagines there's some wily "food and water god" waiting to punish him for being to hasty when he goes for "nom-noms"...

Jadugara ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:26 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Jadugara wrote:
Most kitchens have tiles, so maybe the tiles weird him out enough that he thinks it's the "wrong" place to be...

Apparently it's only the wrong place to be when his food bowl is getting filled.

Other times, he'll blast into the kitchen, make a quick sweep with his nose in EVERYTHING then chase one of the other cats back out into the living room to they can play chase and hide.

Uncle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:50 pm 
UnderDog

Well, if we don't kill him first, our youngest will be a year old in May. It's easy to forget that a hundred and five pound puppy is still a puppy, until you watch him operate. Total pupster. Totally destructive and totally innocent. Counter surfs with all four feet on the floor, too. And I can't mousetrap him, the traps would hurt the cats. He stops on command, but doesn't see anything wrong with thre practice. The Border rats him out when she sees him though. When we hear her 'correction' bark, we go stop him from whatever he's gotten into. She's beginning to slow a bit though. After several hundred bux over at the U vet school, she doesn't have a cancer or Cushing's or several other nasty problems. But she does have a large liver and pees a lot. Probably both from advanced age. When she Leaves, we will consider a rescue instead of a puppy. Nothing is more destructive than a Border Collie puppy.