rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ready to die, pig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm 
Alter Sack

No such easy death for Muley.

After the dark of the last few pages, such a nice bright top of the page, with a hardly bloodspattered back (just scars of course).

And the fellow enemy pig turns out to be a tiger after all... beautifully peeling itself out of the background pattern, mistaking Muley for a Thaikong (and why wouldn't he)...

Thanks for the new page, Mules.

Post subject: Re: Ready to die, pig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:31 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Halbherz wrote:
No such easy death for Muley.

Of course not. This is, after all, the Slop universe.

I am reminded of a scene in some WWII GI movie where the new guys are sitting around listening to one of the "older guys" telling some story about their last encounter.

"There I was surrounded by the enemy. My gun jammed."

"Then what happened?"

"They killed me."

Ooooh and nice tiger...

Uncle

Welcome back Muley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:40 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

But he's already dead, where it matters. I think this story tells us how, why, and where.

No, the worst possible thing that could happen to Tony Ray is that he comes home alone. Not even the guy who was safe, who made it back stateside, survived. Only Tony Ray comes home, with everyone he cared for gone. And then on top of that, they try to make him a hero.

Or Mulefoot-The-Author fooled me again. As always. :D

Anybody want to lay odds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:22 am 
Vulgar Lil Critter

I actually thought the feline in the picture was JJ. No such luck for the fans of the lion :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Raiden wrote:
I actually thought the feline in the picture was JJ. No such luck for the fans of the lion :).

I sincerely wish he could have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:04 am 
Obligatory Agitator

I wonder if Rita is going to hear something she wished she didn't. The tiger face furthest to the right is licking it's chops almost as if it were anticipating a meal. Is this where Tony's story takes a turn from loss and pain into the narrative of horror?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:17 pm 
Batshit Sane

Havoc wrote:
No, the worst possible thing that could happen to Tony Ray is that he comes home alone. Not even the guy who was safe, who made it back stateside, survived. Only Tony Ray comes home, with everyone he cared for gone.

Not everybody. *Finger aside nose*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Cue The Ride of the Valkyrie

"Ah love the smell of BBQ in the morning..."

A-Pork-alypse now...

Uncle ducks and runs for cover...

With apologies to whomever I stole that line from...

Well, let's see, who's left? There's still the commanding officer. And I have my suspicions about the origination's of crazy Pom...

There's the time line though....

Thaikong service...
Prison
And now, 10 years (or more) after he got out of prison.

It's almost like those alien abduction things, "Ah'm missing xxx years of mah life."

Uncle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:31 am 
Vulgar Lil Critter

Quote:
A-Pork-alypse now...

Ah-hah. Ow. That one hurt a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:37 am 
Preternaturalist

Wow! Great page!

Is it out of the fire and back into a frying pan again? The fact that the tiger bothered to ask if he was a GI gives me hope at least that maybe,...just maybe,...Tony's getting a little bit of a break... You know,...the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kinda thing...

Anyway,..really nice tiger faces.. I love the idea that "the jungle has many eyes"...

Nice curved blade, too!

Oh,...and that little touch with the fly on his face? Well,...I'm a whore for tiny details,....so.....I loved the hell out of that....

And that middle panel with the silhouettes,...that looked like you really had fun doing that bit... Quite cool....

Great work!

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:54 am 
Slice of Sly

Here's a question, 'Will Mulefoot want to be rescued?'

If not the Tag might use him as bait. (Here piggy,piggy.)

I'm going to guess that the Tag might hold a pig roast, and Mulefoot might join in the feast. Vengeance as a side dish. It's easy to get use to exotic foods when you travel.

Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:04 pm 
Batshit Sane

What we've seen of the knife reminds me faintly of a Turkish jambiya, a knife carried as a symbol of manhood.

Also i'm surprsed that Mulefoot didn't scent the tiger. I'd think that even through all that blood and the jungle smells, he would have picked up the odour of his musk glands... unless he's intentionally using some sort of scent masking which I suppose would make sense in the context of ground warfare.

come to think of it, I guess we shouldn't really be surprised the Vietcong pigs tracked Mulefoot & co down so easily. We should really be surprised that it took them so long. I imagine with their sharp sense of smell, any gunship crew who weren't scentmasked would be dead meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Keep in mind that Mulefoot also get caught with a lil spatter from Simon...right in the nose. So his sense of smell is shot. Its not entirely gone, but its shot at the moment.

Also keep in mind that maybe Mulefoot has crossed into an area the Mong Cai don't go into at the moment without a large patrol.

I plan on getting into this whole Tag thing a lot more in the Thaikong graphic novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:46 am 
UnderDog

>What we've seen of the knife reminds me faintly of a Turkish jambiya, a >knife carried as a symbol of manhood.

In the late 70s, during a NATO ecxercise (reforger) a couple of us were riding up some godforsaken hill in Turkey to a microwave site we had set up to support the Bad Guys Air Force during the exercise in a Turkish Air Force truck with a Turkish Lieutenant and a couple of his troops. It is a rough country, and conseqnently the Turkish soldiers were at the time about the meanest s.o.b.s who ever breathed air. Anyhow, the Turk Lt had a beautiful knife in a sheath on his belt. My bud who was sitting next to him lifted it slightly up to see the base of the blade, at which the Turk whipped the thing out and nicked my bud on the back of his hand with it. I thought we were gonna have our own war, but the Turk then handed it to him to have a look and pass around. Beautiful knife, etched with inscriptions, and razor sharp. He explained that it was of great significance, I gathered bordering on religious, and had been in his family for generations, passed from father to eldest son. And when it was taken from its sheath, it must draw blood before it was returned. He showed us the nicks on the back of his hand where he had cut himself after taking it out. But as he said, if you remove it, I will cut you instead of me to meet the requirement.
Which if nothing else points out the fact that Americans as a people make the absolute lousiest tourists in the world this side of the Arabs.

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

littljohn wrote:
It is a rough country, and conseqnently the Turkish soldiers were at the time about the meanest s.o.b.s who ever breathed air.

Back in the early '70s I worked with a Korean war vet that was in the Army Signal Corp. He was talking about the Turks they had assigned to "guard his unit."

Cold as hell, I woke up to the sound of mechanized infantry. I got dressed and roused the guys then woke the Turks up. The ran off down the road towards the (assumed) Chinese wearing just their boots and pants. Rifles neatly slung over their backs, but waving scimitars.

About 30 minutes of gunfire and then all was quite. About 20 minutes later, we hear them singing and laughing as they come back up the road.

They came into camp, set up a pot to boil water for tea and sat down on a tarp and started counting ears.

Yeah, tough crowd.

Ya know, I kind of miss Joe and his stories.

Uncle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 am 
UnderDog

Their officer wouldn't believe them on the body count if they didn't produce ears.
We were practicing for a review at the end of the exercise, and spent a few minutes watching those guys march - which they did well. One guy made a misstep, the sarge halted the platoon, faced this guy, and just knocked the living shit outa him. The troop got up, brushed his face, picked up his weapon, and snapped to with the rest of them. Relayed this to some Germans later at the bar, and they said it was normal Turk discipline. I don't think I need none..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:06 am 
Batshit Sane

littljohn wrote:
Their officer wouldn't believe them on the body count if they didn't produce ears.

This makes me wonder about the origins of sourtoe clubs now.