rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uthalla and Tony
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Things on the pages mean a bit more now.
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... 8&p=1&nc=1
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=10&nc=1

http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=19&nc=1
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=29&nc=1
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=30&nc=1

Discuss amongst yourselves. :)

Post subject: Re: Uthalla and Tony
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 pm 
UnderDog

Tony Ray to the big lizard in Master Po's voice:

Time for you to go, grasshopper.

--lj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:05 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

If there's anything to discuss it would be "why?" Tony seemed to have a thing for canid girls. Cold-blooded Uthalla doesn't have looks, curves, soft skin/fur (there's a reason for the Lubraderm commercials), warmth or anything else resembling the vepr's fantasy girl. Yet Uthalla was chained, raped, and degraded (a dog dish labeled "Uthy") for a year. Tony has had chances to enslave others but Uthy seems to be the only one to have received such preferential treatment. I can't help but to think that flashback of malice showing a gator on the other side of prison bars is the reason. Maybe Uthalla was chosen to punish or act out the rage and frustration against that unknown gator.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:05 pm 
UnderDog

Maybe he came back from leaving the Outfit and she was the first thing that crossed his path. Most of the anger got worked out on her.

--lj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Mulefoot put effort into Uthalla as a recurring character. Uncle has pointed out several times that Mulefoot doesn't waste ink and I agree with him. The fact that many of us are still following this story leads me to believe that Mulefoot doesn't waste the opportunity to tell spin an engrossing tale, either. Everything has a reason, each character has a story, nothing is without purpose. Each encounter and exchange may mimic what happens in real life but it isn't real life because it is a story and Mulefoot is a writer who knows that every character and every characterization is meant to drive the story closer to its conclusion. Maybe for a real life serial rapist a happenstance encounter turns into a year-long B&D special but I think that sells Mulefoot's craft short.

Every cause has an affect, every effect has its cause. We've already seen a glimpse of Tony's "long game" with the Robinson family. One daughter dead apparently from the "slop killer" and the other encouraged to put ever more trust and faith into the very bogeyman she's been training to fight. There is some relation of the vepr to Captain Robinson that the Company knows about. Again, time and effort has meaning. The hitchhiker, Heather, was a random subject of Tony's frustration. No time or effort, her demise happened between comics, and her broken corpse (which received far more ink than her breathing self) was merely a prop for Tony's monologue.

Uthy is a mystery because of her status as a victim. That she was a victim was revealed early, but the circumstances are slowly being doled out. Would Mulefoot really be calling attention to Uthalla's link to Tony if the circumstances were mundane? Maybe. But I vote "maybe not."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Andrick wrote:
Every cause has an affect, every effect has its cause. We've already seen a glimpse of Tony's "long game" with the Robinson family. One daughter dead apparently from the "slop killer" and the other encouraged to put ever more trust and faith into the very bogeyman she's been training to fight. There is some relation of the vepr to Captain Robinson that the Company knows about. Again, time and effort has meaning. The hitchhiker, Heather, was a random subject of Tony's frustration. No time or effort, her demise happened between comics, and her broken corpse (which received far more ink than her breathing self) was merely a prop for Tony's monologue.

For the rest of the readers, here's where the relationship with the Robinsons begins.
http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.p ... &p=34&nc=1

And quite observant about Heather. She was just someone to help Tony with his loneliness. He needed someone to talk to and some things can only be told to the dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

Andrick wrote:
Uncle has pointed out several times that Mulefoot doesn't waste ink and I agree with him.

You have learned well Grasshopper.

I have spoken with Mulefoot at length about the events in the Slop universe, and NO I don't have any secret insights, and even if I did, I wouldn't tell you, and the thing that is the most striking is how much of ALL of this was worked out well in advance. There are clues in Dry Run we've over looked that will come back to bite us on the ass in the future.

Why do I have this connection? Well, for one, I've known him for an awful long time. And secondly, I had to work out a lot of the little details with the Runs With Stick story to keep it properly within the confines of the Slop universe. *grins* You really don't think it was just a coincidence that she ended up at El Oso's Cafe do you?

Now, my two cents worth on Uthalla... There's that scene where Tony Ray's having a flashback. http://www.rustedtusks.com/slop/index.php?v=1&i=3&f=8&p=1&nc=1
"Anger" That's some bad ass gator in the joint with Tony Ray. And there's "Delusion" One slightly delusional hippy chick that's hitchhiking. Our own serial killer/cannibal Dhamer had "issues" with certain types of people due to his previous incarceration. It doesn't take much of a free form leap of faith to understand what Tony Ray say in Uthalla from some previous, how shall we say this, indignity?

Uncle.