rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sam's Contemplation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:23 am 
Preternaturalist

Sam has always been a character that I've been drawn to,..though I'm not exactly sure why... He has about him a sinister touch of class,..a polite professionalism that is at once charming while at the same time somewhat chilling...

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:57 am 
Site Admin

That's quite impressive and he looks quite sinister. He is planning his next move. His quarry is near and hiding somewhere in the concrete and glass towers within a corporate jungle. Or maybe he's investigating this thing that's been botherin' him... that guy Uthy killed... something wasn't right with that. Maybe its time to talk to papa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:18 am 
Preternaturalist

Mulefoot wrote:
....Maybe its time to talk to papa.....

Indeed,....I figured it was only a matter of time.....

I'm so glad you enjoyed the image....

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 am 
Slice of Sly

Very nice. I like the lighting and the emphasis on the refelectiveness of his eyes. The mirror aspect is a good analogy for Sam character. He does not show you who he is as much as show you what you'd like to see.

Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 pm 
Obligatory Agitator

He sat in darkness, staring, waiting. The casually held cigar had burned out some time ago leaving only the lingering smell as evidence that it had been lit. He had no need of the cigar now. It was just something to hold. Something to show his intent as he stared at the door from his carefully chosen seat.

For all the world he was a statue staring with cold, dead eyes at the door like a placed and forgotten doll. He betrayed nothing as the time crawled by, as the gloom of dusk smothered all light, as the quiet was replaced by a rummaging noise beyond the door. Not even so much as an ear twitched as he heard the clop of shoes on hardwood, the unmistakable jangle of keys, and the staccato click of tumblers being unlocked. He made no move as the door swung open.

The victim didn't notice him as the hall light lit up his features. The dulled, civilized senses did nothing to warn their host about the danger lurking in the home as the victim walked into the room. But deep in the root of the being, an unspoken primal terror awoke those long unused instincts - the eyes of a predator are on you. The victim now plainly sees him and freezes. The glare of the hall light shines eerily in his eyes as he still makes no move towards his victim.

Thoughts collide in the victim's head, each fighting for control. Who has barged into my home? I don't know him. Am I in the wrong place? My chair was against the wall. Why is he looking at me like that? Dammit, this is my home! Wait, is it my home? The victim never dares look away from him and desperately tries to reorientate from just that limited view. Then one thought silences all of the others. He has a gun.

He had waited for his victim and waited longer still for the victim to notice the revolver nonchalantly placed in his lap. The victim's shocked and confused face easily conveys to him that this prey is now his. He knew that any hope the victim had of escaping him was gone the moment the door opened. He made a small gesture with the cigar holding hand and his victim, as if in a macabre hypnotist performance, dumbly closed the door as ordered. Those cold, dead eyes continued to stare as the room was plunged again into darkness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:52 am 
Preternaturalist

Wow!! The piece inspired all of THAT!?!? Nice!

A really great little snippet of writing!! You should do more!

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:21 am 
Enter the Mango

The silver reflection of his eyes is absolutely awesome. Frightening because it's so impersonal, but definitely awesome.

He's really got a film noir vibe about him. I can imagine him as some sort of silver-rake-type character from a Ramond Chandler novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:06 am 
Preternaturalist

George67 wrote:
Very nice. I like the lighting and the emphasis on the refelectiveness of his eyes. The mirror aspect is a good analogy for Sam character. He does not show you who he is as much as show you what you'd like to see.

'Schaaz wrote:
The silver reflection of his eyes is absolutely awesome. Frightening because it's so impersonal, but definitely awesome.

He's really got a film noir vibe about him. I can imagine him as some sort of silver-rake-type character from a Ramond Chandler novel.

Thanks, my friends..

You know,..the thing about Sam is,..he seems like he might be a really likeable guy from his general demeanor... It's when you add to the mix his profession that you start to realize the level of ethical ambiguity that he must certainly espouse,...a trait that would actually make him very dangerous to befriend,..even though he certainly fits into "cultured" society much more easily than Tony-Ray...

He was an interesting subject to paint,..and something I felt like I had to "get out of my system"....

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
t's when you add to the mix his profession that you start to realize the level of ethical ambiguity that he must certainly espouse,

And just what is his profession? *grins*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:50 am 
Obligatory Agitator

Cleaner.

Sam knows how to be personable, though he does come off as being dirty to those who know his type; he plays the part of a buddy to strangers when he is on the job, a friendliness that is noticeably practiced. The snub-nose revolver he carries is a telling indicator of how Sam behaves, old school criminal, clean and professional. This is the kind of person that, if he gains a reputation, will be respected by those on both sides of the law, cop and criminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56 am 
Preternaturalist

Mulefoot wrote:
Quote:
t's when you add to the mix his profession that you start to realize the level of ethical ambiguity that he must certainly espouse,

And just what is his profession? *grins*

Well,..apparently he is some sort of functionary or "mr. fixit" for some "yet-to-be-named" individual(s) who, among perhaps other things, are willing to illegaly "kidnap" individuals, for the purposes of potential torture/murder, as in the case of "getting" Brice for Deighton. Sam and Uthalla both work for this individual (or organization),..just like Cooper does.

Perhaps the term "hitman" is too specific, since I'm assuming Sam's apparent talents would be wasted if that were the extent of his duties,..but based on what we have seen concerning what his job has entailed so far,....I'm assuming it's a safe guess that Sam has to "check his ethics in at the door" so-to-speak,..each time he has to go to "work"...

A quick answer to your question could also be the return question... "What was Harvey Keitel's character's profession in Pulp Fiction?"... :P

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Sam is a bit like Mr. Wolf. He used to work for "the company" but that was in the 80's. In the 90's, a change in the administration lead to a change in the number of operatives needed in the field. He was getting tired of it anyway. He'd began as a patriot and truly beleived in something. Then one day he realized he didn't feel much of anything anymore. He does keep his word though. And he is quite honorable. He wouldn't take a job that would hurt a what few friends he has but he probably wouldn't tip that friend off that something wicked was that way coming. That violates his sense of honor.

You've made him a bit more respectable looking. I see him as a little tired...and fond of tweed but he knows when to dress for success. When not using his skills, you'd find him in the park dressed in a tweed sports jacket and a tweed cap. He'd be playing chess or feeding the pigeons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 am 
Preternaturalist

Mulefoot wrote:
You've made him a bit more respectable looking. I see him as a little tired...and fond of tweed but he knows when to dress for success. When not using his skills, you'd find him in the park dressed in a tweed sports jacket and a tweed cap. He'd be playing chess or feeding the pigeons.

Nice!

Remember when I mentioned to you that I kept imagining him in some sort of cap? As if I kept wanting him to be some wierd, alternate story-line avatar of "Mr. Badger" from "Wind in the Willows"... It was just Sam's hair all along,..but I kept seeing a cap...especially in the scene with him in the bar sitting beside Tony-Ray...

I wondered when I did the piece if I had dressed him too "fancily",..but then,.. we have only seen so much of him, that it was hard to know the "real" him...

Perhaps my rendition of him was in his "younger days" with the "company"...

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:17 am 
Enter the Mango

Andrick wrote:
old school criminal

They definitely are a breed apart.

I have a dear "honourary" uncle, whom lives in my neck of the woods. He retired to Thailand about 10 years ago from Britian. He is what I consider to be the epitome of an "old school criminal."

At circa 70 years old, he's always immaculately dressed with his shoes polished to a fine shine (which is amazing, because most foriegn men here wear flip-flops everywhere.) and his hair is always slicked back - classy. He does have battle scars, however, his right eye is glass, and his has a damn intriguing scar on his right cheek (I've learned not to ask, how where and why :wink:) but the thing that has always struck me, is that his manicured hands are the softest of anyone (male or female) I've ever met.

He was a "minder" for many years, working for the infamous Kray Twins of London in the 50's and 60's.

I've never asked him directly about what he did (or does, for that matter, because he still makes regular trips to Spain, which is a notorious retirement spot for ex-London gansters.) He did once let slip about something he did concerning Jack McVittie, but then we never spoke of it again. Eeek.

All that said and done, he is the consummate gentleman, and treats me like a daughter. Every time we meet I laugh the whole way through, but I'm very aware that he is somebody that I would never, ever want to be on the wrong side of.

For me, your portrait of Sam totally evokes the feeling of my Uncle. Or rather, that it evokes a feeling of what I imagine Uncle J was like before he retired.

Once again, it's a brilliant image!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:16 pm 
Batshit Sane

Second image of yours I've looked at. You're an amazing artist. I'll look at more later. Thanks for contributing, this is really amazing and really gives me a vivid picture of the character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:20 am 
Preternaturalist

Why thank you!

Kind words indeed!

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 am 
Dirty Ol' Man

Jadúgara wrote:
Why thank you!

No, thank you. That's got to be one of the more evocative bits of fan art I've ever seen.

Someone who just does his job, cleanly, without regret and has mastered the art of compartmentalization. Indeed, never mind the blood bath last week, I'm feeding pigeons now.

Uncle