rustedtusks.com

The SLOP Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shorty...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:30 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Damn son, you even made me cry with that one.

Uncle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:01 pm 
Terrible Dunder Lizard

People die. But how much more devastating is it when something like this happens? You think someone is safe. You think they've got it made, that for this one case they're going to get the good things they deserve instead of the frustrations and misery the world gives everyone else, good and evil alike. And then WHAM. Seems the world was just setting them up for the big hit.

Think how this is going to hit Tony Ray. He's lost a friend just when he thought that friend was safe, yes. That's bad enough. But he has to see himself and his own fate in Shorty's fate too, I'd think.

He sees someone who did the right thing, played by the rules, went off to his "happily ever after," and it all went to hell. That can't improve his view of the world, or of his own chances. That's going to make this hit him even harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:56 pm 
Preternaturalist

Yeah,....what a great page...

It's hard,...so very hard,..to imagine reacting to such a situation... Hard not because it's an "alien concept" (at least, not for me),...but hard because I understand exactly what this is all about, and I hold a deep empathy towards Tony-Ray under such circumstances...

It just "shouldn't have happened this way",....it "can't be true"...

Hellish...

At least it was quick for poor Shorty... (unlike my 5-year-old great-niece with brain cancer)

The true toll of death really is for the living....for those who remain behind...

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:38 pm 
Dirty Ol' Man

Jadúgara wrote:
At least it was quick for poor Shorty...

When I die, i wanna die like my grandfather did.

Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Uncle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 am 
UnderDog

I like Uncle's approach,. However, the untimely death makes us the more aware of the fragfility of life on this earth. Does anyone besides me find this kinda uninhibiting?

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:41 am 
Preternaturalist

littljohn wrote:
I like Uncle's approach,. However, the untimely death makes us the more aware of the fragfility of life on this earth. Does anyone besides me find this kinda uninhibiting?

Actually, yes... I began living life somewhat differently after I nearly died of an aneurysm in my head 15 years ago... I was really, REALLY lucky,..and I knew it.... Normally when people get them they just suddenly realize they have a massive headache,..then they fall over dead....

In the end,..I didn't even need brain surgery, the angiogram revealed that it had ceased bleeding on its own...

However,..I walked away from all that realizing that I needed to kinda "free myself" from the the mindset of "holding back and waiting for things to be just right" mentality,..and live my life with a new understanding of the value of each moment...

Liberating indeed....

Jadúgara ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:23 pm 
Abject Anathema

some good music for this page (At least what I was listening to atm) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1VBp9gwgQ

Very sad :/
It was in a movie somewhere, maybe K-pax? Where one guy was terrified to do anything because he was afraid of infection, harming himself, or choking in his sleep. Because he tried to control all of the potentially harmful factors in his life, he spent many years living in fear and not living at all. When he faced death for the first time, he was emotionally and mentally uninhibited, apoun the realisation that death will come in its' own time, and there's not much we can do about it except enjoy the days we have.
"Each day I will live as though it were my last" -Bushido creed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:04 pm 
UnderDog

The AWOL is out of place, methinks. If you've been there as long as the pig, and seen - and likely caused - a surfeit of mindless death and destruction, even Shorty's loss won't run you off. You show on time tomorrow morning, maybe even yet drunk, surely with the world champion of hangovers. No bottled water, you take a canteen(s) along lukewarm. The door's off the ship, you can just puke overboard without a lot of commotion. Everbody will understand. And you will perform to standard even hung and sick, cos you're like to be killed if you don't. And that is the least worst of the whole experience of war.

--lj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:12 am 
Sloppworthy

I know exactly how unthinkable this situation is. One of my coworkers had a brother that had been in Iraq three times, had several close calls but always returned home.

Finally he was told he didn't have to go back there anymore and was assigned to a base in Georgia. Bout a week later he was on a routine training mission when the helicoptor he and the rest of the squad were in, hit some power lines in dense fog, killing all on board. Its hard to imagine how someone can survive so much danger in a foreign land, only to come back here where it is supposed to be safe, and meet with a sudden end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:30 am 
Plague Carrier

littljohn wrote:
The AWOL is out of place, methinks. *snipped*

He's not AWOL . . . yet.

I think this hits Tony where he felt safe. In the warzone, you can get used to people dying, it's what happens in war. Even one of your buddies, hey, all a part of the job. Somebody manages to survive the war, gets home and just dies in a freak accident? You think of "Back Home" as safe. People don't die "back home", or at least soldier's don't.

Hell's bells, I served in peacetime and we still got into the mindset that "back home" is where bad things don't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:40 am 
Site Admin

Really my whole idea of having JJ mention the AWOL thing is that he's normally the one that is in trouble so its supposed to serious if he's trying to get the boar back to base. Something...is...up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:33 am 

I can relate to Tony. That is hard shit to get over.